Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Exhaust Manifold and Paint Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust Manifold and Paint Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiocrates

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Exhaust Manifold and Paint Question Reply with quote

First a status update......found a body shop that still does sand blasting and next Moday morning my frame is going to get delivered to the shop so it can get nekkid.....for between $200. - $250. No way I could get outfitted to do the blasting myself for that price.

Now.....to go along with my engine rebuild I purchased a new exhaust manifold which I will install once the engine comes back from the shop. That nasty dried up goopy stuff that's on the manifold.....I guess its kosmolin....it needs to come off the manifold before installation, right? And since I'm going with a battleship gray paint scheme on my power plant (engine, xmission, and xfer case) I'd like to paint the manifold gray as well. Will the high temp engine enamel hold up on the exhaust manifold or am I just chunking good money on the burn pile?

Last question. On this jeep the previous owner cut off both ends of the rear frame crossmember so he could attach a heavy rear bumper. He left the section of the crossmember between the frame channels and welded the bumper suports along the outside edge of the frame rails. This makes for a great rear bumper but leaves the outside rear support for the body non-existant. Since this is going to be a bit of a working jeep.....carrying several hundred pounds of feed......some ocassional hay bales......maybe some fencing equipment......would it make sense to weld some outside ends back on to the crossmember to help support this part of the body? Here's the only pic I have right now....its not real helpful...but it sorta shows whats left of my rear crossmember:

Any and all help and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim
paladin6

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only steel, you can add, grind off and add again. I'm a firm believer in over engineering. If it's not a resto and you want to work it, I'd be under there with a welder and do a little adding. Alot easier to weld in some brackets and gussets now, rather than after something happens to the body.

A
'75 CJ5
and counting...
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for your paint, I went with black for the manifolds and used BBQ High Temp paint... that was 4 years ago and still holding up after 2 100 mile convoys...

Any paint that can take 1100 degrees will do...

Hope this helps...
53a1

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a new rear cross member from Midwest Military.
miljeep52

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHT Paint makes a Cast Iron color I usally find it at most auto stores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: