Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel Tank Problems...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Tank Problems...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank Problems... Reply with quote

I just put my REPRO fuel tank in and it seems to fit fine; with one minor exception… the fuel filler does not line up super well with the hole in the tub… Sad

I used military uniform belts for anti-squeak pads… I was able to get some blue belts at the base clothing sales (same thing the military uses to hold up their pants)

The only thing I have found is that the gas inside the tank expands causing the fuel to leak out of the top of the tank… I guess I did not have the fuel line tight and it also comes out around the screws holding the fuel pickup on… Should I use Permatex on the rubber gasket…? Has anyone else had this problem; if so what did you do to fix it…?

Thanks,
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal,

The permatex sounds like a good idea. I have not used it for fuel related items, it works well with oil and water seals.

The fuel pickup has the multiple small screws if I we are talking about the same item. Make sure your seal material is good and your screws are down tight (which I am sure you already have).

Overall how was the fit and function of the new reproduction fuel tanks?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

The tank overall seems to be of good quality, it bolted in with no problems. I did take the time to pre-fit the fuel gauge sender and the fuel pickup taking a tap and cleaning the treads on all the screw holes.

I also bought a new fuel cap and I had to bend the fuel filler tabs in the filler spout to get the cap to fit properly and tight. There is primer on the metal guides for the extension tube to slide on and so it fits tightly and had to be forced in to clean some of the primer off (I expect this to get better after a full tank of fuel).

Also the filler tube seems to sit high and does not fit into the hole in the tub well. I hits the top of the hole this could be due to the angle being off a bit, but that is the only alignment problem I see...

The primary problem I had with this upgrade is the fuel pickup I bought is for a M-38A1 not a M-38; I determined this from the size of the fuel line that it will accept, The M-38A1 uses 5/16" lines and that is what my pichup has on it, the M-38 uses 1/4" lines and that is what the old tank has on it.

I have purchased some 1/16" cork gasket material and am going to change the gasket to cork with permatex; also I purchased a 5/16" line 8" long and cut it in half, took it to my weldng class tonight and brazed it to a piece of 1/4" inch line. This effectively made me an adapter from 5/16" to 1/4 inch to make all the lines tight.

I will try to finish the installation tomorrow and take some photos before I put the seat back in.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Hal.

Where did you get your fuel pickkup (if you don't mind my asking). I am asking because John at Midwest Military advertises a quality repoduction and I was wondering if it was one of his.

Look forward to seeing the photos.

Ryan
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

I got the fuel pickup off eBay, a gent in Sand Springs, OK had it for sale, I managed to get it for $30. Did not realize it was the wrong one till later. I have installed the fuel line I adapted to the tank and all seems OK at this time. I will know more tomorrow when I add more fuel to the tank(I took a day off). Also will take some photos in the sunlight of the tank...
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are photos of the fuel tank:

In the first view the tank sits just the way it should, if you look carefully you can see where the filler spout does not sit properly on the top edge of the tub...

This is the view of the back of the tank, the bolt down bracket fit properly for me Smile ... The smear of primer is where the gasoline that leaked took the paint off... Sad The fitting to the left of the vent (the silver hump on the pickup) is the 5/16" feul pickup thhis is what is going to determine if you have a M-38 or M-38A1 pickup... this one is an A1 so I made the line adapt to the tank...

Here is the outside of the tub... the webbing under the strap is cotton web belt I bought at the miltary clothing store on base...

Overall a good fit and I am happy with the results so far... I do have the old tank available should someone want it... It needs work... email me with questions...

Hope this helps...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: