Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Does the gun make worth $14500.00 !!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the gun make worth $14500.00 !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dod03-52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Does the gun make worth $14500.00 !!! Reply with quote

Look at this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250562497882&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Sam-Helm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Does the gun make it worth. . . Reply with quote

dod3-52,

IF the gun is a real, live 1919A4, AND it works, then it is worth $20,000 by itself. The pedestal mount goes for $500 to $1,000, and the pintle on top of the pedestal (the thing the gun is actually mounted on) runs about $200 or so. On the other hand, reproductions and non-guns cost significantly less (you can get a M2 fifty cal for less than three grand, that does everything except shoot). I only know about this stuff because I am planning a gun on my M38A1 if I ever get her back together, and have been looking at prices. On the third hand, maybe the jeep in the pictures has gold gears or something. . . Wink

Sam

1952 M38A1, 1951 M100
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jeep is being handled by a dealer/broker who knows very little about M38's. The restoration looks about average. Not quite a full frame off. Accuracy is mediocre. Looks to me like the owner built it as a WWII jeep with USAAC instead of USAF, the stars and etc. Rear wheels are not correct. You can see the salt invasion throughout the jeep. Bottom side photos are poor and I'll bet the salt has attacked the surfaces down there very well. If it truly runs steers and stops well and it truly has everything working correctly then the jeep is worth $7 to 8 thousand. The demilled 1919A1 is probably worth less than $2,000 with the mount. Note the poor wiring, civvy carb, and tons of extra holes in the body!

And most important is what is it registered and titled as????

With that CJ2A body tag on the firewall my money says the title says CJ2A 122183!!

Quote:
I DONT HAVE ANY PAPERWORK WITH THIS JEEP JUST THE TITLE SO WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Boze

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like Jeeps, and I like M38s even more. And machine guns are really cool. But - that Jeep needs a heap of TLC. It looks like someone owned it that didn't know the first thing about restoration work. Cosmetically, it needs a lot. And if the surface is challenged, what is the inside of the motor like? I think restoration projects that cost $14,500.00 to start are a bit much. The buyer was likely someone with more money than knowledge of the market. That being said, I may have to review my insurance coverage on mine.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what that rear wheel is really for? I have two of these that came on an M100 parts trailer.

Dan
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like much later service replacement civvy wheels with the hub cap dimples.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Stir-stick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me right PROUD of my project !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy STICK Rolling Eyes
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A clean Jeep with a real semi-auto 1919A4 at Barrett Jackson brought I think 104,000.00. ( a M38) The gun used to be had for 500.00 as a demilled kit. The pedistal was 550.00. The pintle was around 250.00 real. Since Obamacare has arrived, you now have to go through a FFL dealer to even get the kit. The sideplate also. Much has changed sadly. So, lately a A4 ready to shoot is around 2400.00. The mounts and accessories are extra. Depending on which state you live in, laws regulating gun enforcement are vastly different. Wyo., SD, Montana, and Colo. are sort-of the last holdouts for normal thinking. You have to have your paperwork to prove ATF compliance for the build and frankly, don't carry ammo. All they really are is a M1 Garand on a post, but many people don't see it that way, so use common sense! I keep mine locked up. Bring it out for shows, but you must either inform people, or keep it locked so it can't be tampered with. I use a cable lock through the action. I don't leave it un-attended either. Most law enforcement out west here don't have a problem with it. They actually like it! Very Happy
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buyer sued Barret Jackson over the M38. Tried to get his money back after the booze and stupidity evaporated. Rolling Eyes

oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, and friends, if you have ever read Barrett Jacksons aggreement to auction your car, written by their high dollar lawyers, you won't ever sell your toy there. I doubt anyone will ever sue them to gain back what they foolishly lost. They provide a bar free to get their bank certified bidders drunk and stupid. NO RESERVE!!!!!!!!! Ha! What a bunch of hyped saps! If you put 125,000.00 into restoring a E-Type Jag roadster, and sell it for 97,000.00, where is the smarts???????? You only pad Craig and others pockets there. I'll go with other auction houses that allow a reserve auction first. All venues there have to pay and pay to be there. Credit goes to them for pulling it off, and the old saying fool me once, shame on them, fool me twice, shame on me! is true. Other friends say that the cars that the auction houses buy, show up at "other" auctions. That means they do have shill bidders in the audience. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ACE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at the Jeep and concluded that someone doesn't know much about them. Must be some awfully good drugs they're taking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: