Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Oil Inlet pipe replacement
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil Inlet pipe replacement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Oil Inlet pipe replacement Reply with quote

Hi,
Just wondered if it is possible to replace the oil filter inlet pipe without having to remove the fuel pump as per the manual. Not keen to have to disconnect all the lines to the pump, bound to cause some damage.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leo,

I just did mine this morning - fortunately, my engine is out of the jeep on a stand. Unless the hose is REALLY loose (in which it would be leaking), I don't see any way to do it. In my case, the lower fitting had so much paint and grime on it that I rounded the fitting and ended up using vise grips to loosen it enough to grab the remaining flats with a wrench. Also, when I went to put the new one on, the hose was the wrong thread to fit the engine elbow - had to put an adapter on it. The same thing happened on the return hose - I will have to go to the hardware store to buy another adapter. I bought my hoses from one of the bigger names in all of the MV magazines.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
Can you be more specific with type, size and thread info on both your new hose and the existing fittings on your engine? I ask this in all fairness to the vendor, it is possible your jeep's hose was changed in the past with an incorrect hose and the needed fittings replaced the original.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Block to oil filter hose Reply with quote

I just put my engine back together and made the mistake of putting on the fuel pump before the oil lines. Ooops! There isn't enough clearance for the brass fitting on the end of the hose to fit the hose down between the front plate and pump spacer (if you are using the orignal pump). You have to take the pump off. The hose I bought from a major supplier worked great, I reused the brass fitting that was on the block - a standard flare fitting, local hardware store carries them.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the long hose, it had the flare fittings on both ends, same thread (don't know thread type or size). The hose wouldn't fit in the elbow on the block - I don't remember if it was too big, or just too course of a thread - I'll look when I get home. I checked the hose on my spare block - same brass elbow fitting on it also. The short hose that I got has a flared fitting on one end that fits the oil filter and a pipe (?) fitting (with a smaller hole), which is too small to fit in the timing gear cover, on the other. I think the short hose is supposed to have both flared fittings judging by the connections on the timing cover and oil filter. Also, the short hose is a smaller diameter and shiney - almost like a PVC instead of rubber.

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
idiocrates

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my "long" hose from the engine block to the oil filter cannister as well with a new flexible hose with pre-fitted connectors on both ends from Kaiser Willys in SC. The first hose I received had one bad end on it.....the jam nut on the swivel end had virtually no threads cut in it. The replacement that I received was correct in every way and the quality was acceptable. It might be considered bubbasizing but I think if I ever have to go back into that tight little corner again I'm going to make a riser out of rigid tubing to bring the connector up to above the fuel pump. My "L" in the block was sooo tight I had to practically destroy it to get it out.....and my old hose was sooo tight in the "L" I never did get it out.....so somebody else recognized this as a place they really didn't want to revisit again.....ever. My biggest gripe on the premade flexible hoses is that they don't leave enough of the rigid pipe exposed to get a tubing wrench on the jam nut.

'?? - M38A-1
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Flare fittings Reply with quote

If the hose has flare on one end and pipe thread on the other, the pipe fitting can thread into the oil filter directly. If the hose has two flare fittings, you can buy a flare to pipe thread adapter fitting, either a straight fitting or elbow. My local Ace Hardware has bins of the things in all sizes.
Leo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a thought, since only the top junction of my oil inlet pipe is leaking do you think I can put a new top section of pipe in and join it to the old with a steel through junction. Do you think the oil flow will be reduced too much?
Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your dual fuel/vac pump is correctly installed with the long bolt head then pump removal is very simple. A moment spent rotating the engine crank so the fuel pump cam is as far from the cam as you can get it makes the pump installation very easy.

If the perfect correct hose is not an issue for you then you should consider using steel tubing with the correct inverted flare fittings. You can use the steel tubing alone full length or you can stop short up top at the oil filter and insert a short hose.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to messing with the lower hose today - yep, took the elbow out of the bottom of the filter and the hose was a perfect fit in there. Problem solved!

Matt
keats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought on this topic. I have a Cj3B that is used as a plow only. Years ago, I had a oil hose break at the lower connection behind the fuel pump. As you all know its a pain to reach this connection. Since its in original shape, but a work truck I did the following: I used a 90 degree fitting in the block, added a 6 inch piece of pipe to it, and added an adapter to the pipe to bring the hose connection from behind the fuel pump. I had room behind the fuel pump to do this. Now, if that hose goes again, I can easily remove it from both ends without fiddling with the fuel pump.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the 3B have a military fuel/vacuum pump or civvy? What does yours have? I thought about hard piping mine, but broke down and bought the hoses.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keats,
That is exactly what I said above to use a steel tube at the bottom half.

The CJ3B came with a dual fuel vac pump but the vac section had slip in hose nipples.

Like these two tubes. I sold my 1960 3B about 5 years ago after plowing snow with it for about 12 years.

Last edited by wesk on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
keats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you did, and missed it. Going vertical or horizontal are both functional and makes for an easy fix later. I remember going behind due to having a long length hose and not wanting it waving and wandering around the top of the motor.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bastered size hose from a vendor, after I tried to make it mate to the fitting on the motor that I just took the old hose off of, not realizing it would not mate up to the existing inverted flared fitting on the motor, it flattened out the flare on the hose.

Same nut size on old and new hose but different flare/tube ID on new hose compared to the old hose and fitting. Unless you compare the two hose ID's you would never know there was difference untill you screw it up.

I believe the older hose is 1/4" tube while the new hose is 1/8" tube, yet both hoses have the same nut thread and OD. I haven't been able to locate the fittings for the newer hose. But it don't matter now cause the flare is flattened one end because I tried to mate it to a 1/4" inverted flare tube fitting. It's $25 junked hose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: