Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Is this what I think it is???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this what I think it is???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJ3B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Is this what I think it is??? Reply with quote

I thinnk I just foud out that I have a WW2 oil filter instead of an M38 unit... see pics below... I had totally forgotten about this, since I am working on the electrics, and looking for some stuff, I found this.

Some chalk so you can see the lettering...

I have tried to take the cartridge out, but have not been able... is there a trick to this? I haven't forced anything, and the cartridge spins freely... I'm guessing I will have to remove something else, other that the top, but have no idea...

Also, anyone willing to trade it for the correct application? I mean, if a WW2 assembly might have been compatible, I can keep it, but if someone has a CUNO out there that is willing to trade, I would be more than happy to.

Thanks,

Jorge

Jorge
1952 M38
1965 CJ3B
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jorge,

The first 6 M38 Pilot models used that filter. All the production M38's and the first 2000 or so M38A1's used the Cuno. The M38A1 went back to that filter and in the late 50's and early 60's the M38's that needed new filters would usually get that filter instead of a Cuno.

So yes the military junior you have could be a WWII, or later M38A1 or M37 unit. The choice is yours.

For the Cuno to perform it's filtering task it's "T" handle had to be rotated at least once each week. When it was ignored the sludge would build up quickly and clog it up. Then corrosion would attack the fine plates and voila it won't turn anymore at all.

Several manufacturers made those military juniors and the WWII guys that are very detail oriented actually nail down which brands were used on which WWII jeeps.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
CJ3B

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I would be ok using it, like it would be a motor-pool change or something similar? How do I extract the filter unit? It spins, but I cannot pull it out... Can I pry the unit somehow, taking into account that I wouldn't wish to misalign/force and break anything inside?

How does the CUNO work? What's the principle behind the rotating filtering?

Thanks, as always, for your input, Wes! Sure wish I had a neighbor like you or some other guys in this group!

Jorge

Jorge
1952 M38
1965 CJ3B
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed your post on the G503. I also noticed Joel Gopan's reply about protecting the edge of the cannister with a piece of wood when you use a couple of crew drivers to leverage the element out.

If you do a search of this topic on the G503 board someone else a few months ago asked the same thing. I responded that they should be careful prying against the cannister. Joel had the gonads to say I was foolish in my advice and it wasn't necessary.

The Cuno filter is a stack of thin stainless steel discs very close together. They use a cleaning wire between each disc which when you rotate the main "T" handle shaft will scrape each side of each disc clean and dump the crud in the bottom of the bowl. Then every 6,000 miles you are to remove the core and clean the bowl. Cuno is still alive and still manufactures this style filter. It gets it's bad rap from the bad habits of it's owner/operators. It is actually a very good system and has been used on airctaft from the 1920's thru the end of WWII.\
http://www.cuno.com/library/LITHSAKDDS.pdf

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Boze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of filter manufacturers and the correct part numbers for the Fram junior filters.

AC - P203
Big A - 92010
Bosch - OX79
CarQuest - 85010
Fleetguard - LF-568
Fleetrite - LFR8574
Ford - 9N18649, 9N6714,
Fram C3, C3P
Hastings - LF130, LF102
Lee - 70FR
Motorcraft FL144
NAPA – 1080, "Gold" FIL1010, FIL1071
Purolator - L20700, L20110, PM352, P70AC, T110, L20701
Western Auto - 5815?
Wix – 51010
STXM38A1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Draining Fram Junior without a mess? Reply with quote

When draining the Fram Junior cannister during an oil change on a M38A1, how do you prevent making a big mess? Given the usual orientation of the drain plug (bolt) and the other engine components in the vicinity, I've found it difficult to contain the oil stream once the drain is out. What's the secret?
Thanks,
Warren

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a piec of funnel shaped metal or card board to direct the flow forward and outboard to a small plastic bucket or you can unbolt the filter housing from it's mount bracket and move it forward and outboard or you can not drain it but instead when you pull the element out use a turkey baster to suck the oil out and wipe the interior up with a rag and some solvent.

STXM38A1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wes. With Thanksgiving done and the turkey baster now freed up, I'll try that approach next oil change.

PHOTO ALBUM:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album33&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: