Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Jeep lean solution?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep lean solution?????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Jeep lean solution????? Reply with quote

I have a '45 MB, and a '52 M38A1 that both lean due to the heavy Radios, gas tank, driver, steering box, offset engine, all on the drivers side. I spent days playing with more leafs etc. and still can't get it to hold up. So, Put a new leaf on the LR, helper coil spring between the frame and leaf, get the original one re-curved at the spring shop????????????? Anyone have a decent fix? No fat chicks please. I'm tired of getting out and standing my Jeep back up flat. It irritates me to no end. I wish they had put the radios and fuel on the other side and a tool box under the driver. I'm open to your thoughts. John
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many radio jeeps that belonged to units that didn't want to or didn't have the extra man power to give every radio operator a driver would put the radio on the right side.

The easy fix is to shim the right rear spring down a 1/4".

They all sag on the left with age simply because the weight is biased to the left side. Often the reason they don't spring back up themselves when you climb out is because the spring shackles haven't been greased in a long time.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BlitzAttack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I thought I was the only one. Atleast I now know its some what the norm.
Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved my drivers side sag by installing new spring shackle bushings all the way around.

Keith
51' M38
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a short leaf to stiffen the LR and took out one on the RR. helped some. If you add a 1/4 inch spacer it also lowers the Jeep some on ground /body clearance. My shackles are well greased. I was thinking the next move was to recurve the LR or put a new fresh spring on the LR and wondered if others had tried it. The coil spring idea is too tacky looking. I put all new springs on my CJ3A and it sits dead level, but it doesn't have a 100 pound radio sitting on the LR wheelhouse. You can see the lean in allot of Jeeps that are pictured for sale too!
jimbob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a M38 that was low on the left rear , had new springs and bushings.
I corrected it by having more arch put in the left rear spring . Sets level now.
Jim
jasonm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rearched my rear ones on my 43 ford gpw 3 years ago and almost with in the same year they started to go back to the lean, rearching is only a temp fix.My jeep has only seen the inside of my garage in the last 4 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: