Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Photo Postings... Too Big???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photo Postings... Too Big???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Photo Postings... Too Big??? Reply with quote

I really like the new site, lots of great information and posts coming in regularly Very Happy

However I have one question/coment...

Why are some of the photos so large they will not fit on a monitor? (17")

I understand a large image is sometimes needed for clarity, but there are times when the photo is too large and you loose the idea of what is being presented... ie can't see the forest for the trees... Confused

As a suggestion maybe a standard needs to set or store those large photos in the gallery or download section to be viewed independently for those that need that information...

My 2 cents worth...
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hal,

Can you give me a specific example of what photo you're viewing that's too big?

Also, what is your monitor's resolution?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An example is wesk reply on the M-38A1 axe...

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=546

I have to scroll from side to side and top to bottom to see whole picture... The first one...

My screen resloution is set to 1024x768...

Hope this helps...
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal,

The first two photos that I posted are

640 X 480 pixels

Wes's large photo is

1280 X 960 pixels

I would say that a good guide to posting is to keep the photo size to around 640 X 480 pixels maximum.

Bob, you know more about this than I do, what do you think?

I temporarily removed the larger photo, since the smaller one was similar.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only post the larger photo when the detail is asked for. In each case the questiuon asked required the detail. Anyone interested in the question should have had no problem identifying what they were looking at and those not interested in the question would most likely not be viewing the photos. Since the original poster needed the data and as can be seen others interested in the data appreciated the detail there is no reason to restrict the size when this detail level is requested just so someone who likes to cruise through all the postings doesn't get overwhelmed by the photo sizes.

Just my 2 Cents

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blowing the photo up helped me see the detail of the wiring diagram. It may be awkward to view overall, but I can over look that.
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 19 inch monitor with 1600x1200 resolution, so I can hardly tell when a photo is "too big."

640x480 is itsy-bitsy on my monitor, 800x600 okay, 1024x768 okay, 1280x1024 (or 960) -- and things start to get big.

Obviously this is all going to depend on your computers resolution setting. Someone running 800x600 no matter how big the monitor is is going to think anything more than a 640x480 picture is ginormous.

I personally recommend 1024x768 for 15inch, 1280x1024 for 17, 1600x1200 for 19, etc etc. I know many people have bad eyes and can't see text that small, so the instictive approach is to lower the resolution. Yes, that makes the text bigger, but it makes everything bigger -- and a lot less will fit on your screen. There are specific font size settings in Windows and Mac so you can have a bigger font with an appropriate resolution (if anyone is interested in knowing how to set this up, let me know, i can post directions).

Anywho -- as for "how big is too big" -- I'd say 640x480 / 800x600 should be the norm. However, Wes does bring up a good point about detail. I sure find it pretty hard to spot details in a lower res picture rather than a high res picture. When the situation calls for it, use it.

REMEMBER....huge photos take up huge amoutns of space on our server if they are saved to your photo gallery. If you're pulling phots from an external server, say, photobucket.com, it wont take up any of our space -- but people that have dialup connections will really feel the pain when it takes 5 minutes for the photo to halfway complete.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos I post are stored on my personal PIC storage site and linked to the willysmjeeps page. Storage on the willysmjeeps site is not an issue.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK for the folks with small eyes I've deleted all the large DETAILED photos.

Let me say something one time here. Ryan and I do a ton of work on these sites. I get asked for about 30 photos a week. When a guy asks for detail in a post here he should be able to get it without a lot of static. In the past and on the G when I email a large file photo directly to a guy asking for a detailed photo and he announces on the original thread "Thanks Wes the photo was perfect" guess what happens next???? I get 10 requests for the photo. Anybody out there know how long it takes to pump out 10 requests on my dial up????

I say let's get real here. By posting the detailed photo here the original poster gets what he needs. Other interested posters get a free copy. I have already discussed this with Ryan and there's no reason not to post these larger files when needed. We simply switch them to smaller thumbnails when the thread dies. In the meantime they are NOT a storage issue for the new web site or it's server.

When this plan gets the blessing of the masses I'll start posting photos again.

jake
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Image size Reply with quote

The images posted in the photo gallery will automatically be re-sized to 640x480 for easier viewing, but the orginal image size is left on the server.

For example in Ryans gallery:

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Ryan&id=Rich_Saylor_3&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

If you right click on the image to get the image url to to include here in the forum the url looks like:
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/Albums/Ryan/Rich_Saylor_3.sized.jpg

This is the 640x480 image.....but the orginal size is still left on the server, simply remove the ".sized"
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gallery/Albums/Ryan/Rich_Saylor_3.jpg

This way if you wanted to reference images from sites photo gallery here in the forum, you have the option to either show the orginal image for detail, or the one that gets sized for easier viewing.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not mean to open a can of worms with this posting... Confused

I did not understand how the photos were being posted, different resolutions... all the photos I have ever posted here or on the "G" always come out the same size... I have learned something about that topic... Very Happy

I was just asking so now my question is answered and I will go back to sleep now... Smile

Thanks guys for the answers...
Powermwt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice feature, Jake. Very Happy

My memory is poor, so is this listed somewhere so I can choose which size photo to use?
jake
WebMaster
WebMaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that is a feature of the gallery that is not documented. This weekend, I will post some better examples of how to get the most out of your photo-gallery under the website forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: