Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Jeep Restoration
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep Restoration
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Jeep Restoration Reply with quote

New to the forum but not to forums. I have been lurking around here trying to learn a few things. This is a lot to read I know, bear with me here.

Hi, my name is Clayton Moore I live in Houston Texas, everyone just calls me "Ranger" Google it if you want to know why. I'm 17 years old and a junior in high school, I have been restoring cars with my dad since I was 6 this is my first jeep restoration however. My dads friend gave me a 1953 Willys CJ-3B, the frame and all the drive train have been sitting outside for the past 15-20 years. The body or "tub" as most of you on the forum call it was sitting in a barn and is in absolutely horrible condition (the floor pans were replaced 4 times and are rusted out again etc..) but I'm going to repair it as best as I can.

The rumor is with this engine is that my relatives were out deer hunting and an insert on one of the connecting rods went out, so they used a leather belt to fix it and the thing kept running for the next 15 years Shocked Right now I have the engine and transmission out and then engine is on a stand, so I can take it apart and get it running again. Since this engine was outside for 15 years the crankcase was full of water and #4 cylinder was filled up with water and there has been some pitting of the cylinder. One of the push rods is bent also.

Now onto my questions...

What kind jeep is this? There is no tag on the body.
What do these numbers tell me about the engine?
8062 79-W-12-D-AB with a CU CR
The stamped numbers above the water pump are
4J 19535
How do I get the crank out of the engine? Mainly the pulley off the front, the rest I think I can figure out but pointers would be nice.
How can I solve the pitting in the cylinder? WITHOUT taking it to a machine shop and paying a ton of money. I know the owner of a great machine shop and he said it will take a lot of money for him to rebuild the engine.

This project is going to be as cheap as possible, I'm only going to buy what I need.

Onto the pics

My high school car 1967 Mustang Coupe 289 automatic, all restoration was done be my dad and I.

Thanks

Last edited by Ranger on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
BullRun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Ride!

Just my opinion but I think you will have to have the cylinder walls machined. Also having the engine boiled out will clean any sludge or rust buildup from sitting all those years.

My machinist can do an F-head or L-head jeep engine for about $650 to $1200 for the machine shop work. Maybe it can be sleeved. I would do the rebuilding yourself. Save some money and learn a new skill in the process. Jeep engines are fairly easy to learn on and there is a lot of information available on how to do it.

I would do the engine last. The body and chassis repair always seems to take longer than expected and cost more too.

But before you do anything have the engine inspected by a machinist and Magnafluxed for cracking to make sure that engine is rebuildable. Same for all the major components. A little money and time now might save you thousands later. At least then you will have a game plan on how to proceed. If you are going for originality now is agood time to check if all parts are correct. I once bought a jeep that I did not check the axles before hand only later to find out they were not correct. A costly and time consuming mistake.
The High Hoods are cool jeeps. Just a little different!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What kind jeep is this? There is no tag on the body.
You'll need to show us the body and hood for an answer to this question!

What do these numbers tell me about the engine?
8062 79-W-12-D-AB with a CU CR
They are the engine casting number for a mid production F134 engine.

The stamped numbers above the water pump are
That's the engine serial number. Look closer and you should see a prefix like 4J at the left end of the numbers.

How do I get the crank out of the engine? Mainly the pulley off the front, the rest I think I can figure out but pointers would be nice.
This is where you slow down and get the manual. The manual you want is SM-1002 or SM-1046 (early and late Willys/Kaiser CJ service manual) Early will cover the CJ3B up to about 57 and late will cover the rest of 3B production thru 1968.

How can I solve the pitting in the cylinder? WITHOUT taking it to a machine shop and paying a ton of money.
There is no cheep way that will get you on the road and trouble free. I prefer to use the word "FRUGAL" which is the act of being cheep in a smart way! After you strip the block down take the block and your box of parts to your automotive machinist and get a professional evaluation of what you have. Once you have the condition of all your pieces professionally evaluated you can move ahead and build a plan to get her back together as inexpensively as possible.

I know the owner of a great machine shop and he said it will take a lot of money for him to rebuild the engine.
Very soon you will realize the truthfulness of his wisdom!

While you are over at Portrayal Press and Turner 4WD web sites looking for those manuals you can go to our downloads page and download the TM 9-8015-1 which covers the M38A1 F134 engine and just ignore the military 24 volt water proof accessories.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
FrankenJeep

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but if you do a half-a$$ job (and I'm not saying you would), you may regret it later. These engines are fairly simple, but if they aren't done right the first time, it will (may?) come back costing you MORE than if you had done the whole job the first time. IF it were ME. and to each his own, I would do the rebuild fully now rather than putting $$ into it and having to go back in it again. By the time you buy seals, gaskets, rings, etc, to have to do the job OVER would cost MORE. IMHO. I would, at least, do all the machining, and save money by doing the re-assembly myself. I have already learned this lesson once before. Wink

FRankenJeep
Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers, there are a lot of great people on this forum who want to see these types of engines rebuilt right.

I think I'm going to do it the right way, I might as well. I like doing things right the first time and I want this engine to be done right. I have downloaded the manual and have been reading through the parts that I need help with.
TomM

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: jeep Reply with quote

Ranger,
Welcome to the forum. I bought my first jeep when I was 17 and I still have it 33 years later....
Do what you can do, when you can do it. Do the best you can with the funds you have. You and your dad obviously put a lot of experience under eachothers belts working on that nice mustang!
If you hold on to the jeep there will be a chance down the road to "fix" whatever it was that you didnt have time/knowledge/funds/interest in doing earlier.
We all know the old "do it once do it right". But reality says "do it however you can or you will sit around doing nothing waiting for it to be right".
Good advice on getting body and Chassis done first. Engines are available and buildable.
Looking forward to seeing more of the build.
Tom
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: jeep Reply with quote

TomM wrote:
Ranger,
Good advice on getting body and Chassis done first. Engines are available and buildable.
Tom

I gotta agree there, Tom. I hadn't gotten that advice myself so
i spent the last year building engine first, then tranny/transfer and finally
chassis. Now i've got a complete ready to roll M-38 chassis but cant
seem to get the body/paint shop to finish my sheet metal work-
(i didnt line-up my body shop guy till i already needed my body
work to be done-my fault) Now i'm standing here with a wrench in
my hand and nothing to do.
53a1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree.

Body work takes the most time. I spent 6 months on my tub.
RICKG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 A-1, The killer here is that i have a clean tub-arizona jeep
that was stored indoors. NO RUST.. hats and floors in excellent
condition. I just wanted a little tweaking here and there and a
paint job done in a booth. My painters work is flawless and
affordable. But the big dollar jobs keep pushing my project to the
back of the line.. Mad
53a1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky Guy.

I live in the desert and one of mine is from AZ and one is from the High Desert in CA. Desert vehicles will not have much rust but do rust in areas where water pools, ie. behind kick board brace & hat channels. I have kept verticle pieces of sheet metal outside and they don't rust because the water runs off them, the wind kicks up and they are dry.

If yours was kept inside you would eliminate that and you could have a perfect tub.

The only other bid dollar item I can think of are the tires, engine, harness, trans.
Ranger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, need some more advice. I'm trying to get the front axle out with springs, steering linkage, and shocks, etc. Well I was almost done when I could not get the bolt out of the leaf spring. The bolt I'm talking about is the bottom bolt on the shackle attached to the leaf spring on the passenger side. I tried everything, 1/2" break over bar, oil, getting it red hot, impact wrench. I even thought it might be a left hand thread so I tried that too. The other side was a left hand thread is this side a left hand thread? If I cant get it off, I'm just going to cut it off with the torch.

Thanks, Ranger
Oldsalt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try not to get the spring too hot or it will lose it's tempering and be ruined.
RimfireJim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right (passenger) front shackle threads are both RH. Which ones are RH and which ones are LH can be very confusing. The only LH threads are front driver's side lower and rear passenger side lower. See Wes's description in http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3577&highlight=shackle

I vote for a lot of penetrating oil, patience, and the impact wrench. I've had pretty good success with an impact wrench reversing back and forth, which seems to allow the penetrating oil to get in better. Sometimes the threads are ruined by the time it finally comes apart because they were so rusted, but at least it's apart. On the spring U-bolts I did that on, it would have been a lot faster and more effective to use the torch, because the bolts were shot anyway.
53a1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is sometimes a notch at each apex of the hex head if it is LHT.
Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

53a1 wrote:
There is sometimes a notch at each apex of the hex head if it is LHT.

I looked on the bolts and there is a notch indicating that is a LHT.

I got the bolt off using a break over bar and a 4' cheater pipe, the bolt came off in pieces but now its off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: