Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - tie rod ends
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tie rod ends
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonm

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: tie rod ends Reply with quote

Guys, I have been thinking about this now for about two days and am now down to about three hairs on my head,How do you measure the tie rod ends?
Some venders are asking wich ones you need 3/4 or 11/16 and the problem is i dont know!
I measured the threaded end and its a 5/8 rod, so thats not it, them measured the out side dia or the tub and thats 11/8 so again thats not it.
I have no idea as to what anyone is talking about when they say 3/4 or 11/16.
Can someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks Jason
hill

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: tie rod Reply with quote

What they are talking about is the size of the thread end that screws into drag link tube that goes from left side to the right side.
jasonm

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya thats what i thought too, but the measurment is 5/8 and is the same on all tie rods that i have come across, my slat grill and gpw also the m-38 are all the same.
Still confused, but thanks just the same,
Beacher425

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand:

The drag link is the tube from the pitman arm of the steering box to the bellcrank (the L shaped bracket at the front of the jeep). The bellcrank then connects to the center tie rod end. The tie rods are the rods that run between the from wheels. These tie rods can be thick walled as in M38 and M38a1 or thinner walled CJ. the thicker walled tie rods take the 3/4th inch (12/16th inch) tie rod ends and the thinner walled tie rods take the 11/16th inch tie rod ends. This meassurement is the diameter of the threaded part that screws into the tie rod. there is no tie rod end that screws into the drag link. Cheapest tie rod ends I have found are at odiron.com. If you want a full set of tie rods and ends and clamps, several places sell the thinner CJ version allready assembled. Other places have the thicker rods such as Army Jeep Parts,
ECVJeeps

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was following this thread last night and measured the tie rod ends from both a "fat" and "thin" tie rod and both threaded ends are the exact same.
I removed a tie rod from each and re-threaded them into the opposite tie rod.
The threaded parts are both 5/8" in dia.
I am with Jason here, is there a third tie rod that has a different inside dia?
jasonm

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I take it know one has replaced the tie rod ends on there jeeps in 50 years...Must be alot of unsafe restored jeeps out there..lol
major519

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am following this thread myself as I was inspecting my M38A1 CDN3 yesterday and see that I need at least the center link so I will probably do a complete front end just to be safe. Considering that this is the wifes Jeep, its the least I can do to ensure a safe ride.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I take it know one has replaced the tie rod ends on there jeeps in 50 years...Must be alot of unsafe restored jeeps out there..lol

From past posts over the last few years here many have changed their tie rod ends. In the majority of the cases they had the correct for their model jeep tie rod assemblies and when they ordered the correct for their model jeep parts they got what they needed.

I am sure there are a handful of folks that had the mix and match jeeps and had problems similar to yours. They are the few folks you are actually looking for. The rest have safely restored M38's they are driving. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jasonm

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but I didenty say that i had a mix and match, I asked how do you measure and where do you come up with 3/4 or 11/16 because when measured they all are 5/8 thats thin and thick tie rods.
Dont be so quick to think I am not restoring mine, I take great pride in doing it right.
ECVJeeps

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am building a 52 M38 from a bunch of different jeeps. That being said, I expect my jeep to look correct with the correct parts in the correct places.
I have changed tie rods on other M38’s but have never found the difference between the two mentioned sizes either. I have found two different sized tie rods, but they both take the same tie rod end, 5/8” dia. Just where the 3/4” and the 11/16” come from must mean that there are not two but three different size tie rod ends out there.
Question: is there two or three size tie rod ends out there and if there is what is the correct size for the M38 or is there two size tie rods for the M38 and what are they?
I don’t think “a handful of folks” is a very accurate statement or even close to being accurate here.
Honestly I would think that there are more, way more mix and match jeeps out there than there are complete original non molested jeeps. It would just stand to reason that since 1951-52 the vast majority of these jeeps had someone modify them in some way. I just consider myself lucky enough to have salvaged enough correct parts over the years from a mix match of M38 jeeps to be able to put one together.
I wish I was as lucky as some to find one “complete and not altered” to restore.

Like Major519 I too would like to know where the two different tie rod sizes come from, there must be a third size tie rod out there that I have not found in the dozen or so M38’s that I have worked on yet.
Mr. Miller’s book mentions that the larger size tie rod is found on the M38A1’s and no mention of the M38. The M38A1 must have a larger size tie rod, and the M38’s must have had two different size tie rods using the same size tie rod end for both.
On a side note Mr. Miller’s book shows the routing of the radio power cable but there is no mention of the power cable guard or the mounting or location. This is just a side note.

I am sorry Jason, I don't have an answer for you and I cannot find an answer in Mr. Miller's book either.

Good Luck
Pat
DJ

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes instead of asking a question and hoping someone else does the searching for you,one needs to take the bull by the horn. Call a MV supplier,ask some questions of him,order a 11/16" end,check it for fit. I'm thinking you are a 1/16 " off on your measurement.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now. My reply was meant to set the playing field straight for what I perceived to be a low blow aimed towards most of out members restoration quality by Jason M. I tried to make a light hearted reply to make it clear that most of our members are in fact making safe restorations. I had no interest in Jason's restoration status or quality. My only interest was in defending the rest of the members restoration quality.

For all to know the best available answer to the original question is in a little "at your own home" research. The parts manuals for both the M38 and the M38A1 are free for you to download and use from this web site. If you will spend an hour or so with them you will learn a lot about tie rod ends. Wink

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jasonm

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wesk, I am sorry that you take my post as a low blow,For that was not what it was meant as, I was just making point to the measurment offered and how they dont measure up.
I have used your search function on this site and still is open to interperation...
The forum header says technicial knowledge base not find it yourself and if you cant use the book..All i am doing is asking a question.
I have all manuals right here infront of me right from the museum in which I work and they do not tell you wich tie rod to use ,just a part number.
I am not looking for a part number, I would like to know which is correct the 3/4 or the 11/16...But the problem is when measured they all come in at 5/8.
Now if I am doing this wrong tell me, dont tell me to go read a manual or use the search function.
If there is no answer then say we dont know..I will take that with the understanding that there is no answer.
Jason
major519

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess here. 5/8 is smaller tahn 3/4, therefore it would be reasonable to say that the 3/4 ones are incorrect.
If you are measuring the major diameter of the thread at 5/8 it is likely an 11/16
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rod ends all have the same thread size. The tubes come in small and large outside diameters. I would suggest you ask this question to the vendor who told you there were 3/4" and 11/16" rod ends. We have no information here on different rod ends. We only have information on different tubes that use the same 5/8" threaded ends. We can only assume that vendor is referring to the tube outside diameters of 3/4" and 11/16" I can think of no other way to explain this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: