Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 pto's etc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 pto's etc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: M38 pto's etc Reply with quote

I've just spent part of my day turning over stuff that I'm too affraid to bring home.
Anyway I tried to sort out this stuff which I've aquired in boxes from dealers over the years.
Now I must explain...... when the US army was running down in europe I would buy from the big dealers a couple of M35s or bigger trucks at the same time. This was because to make it pay for my hobby I had to fill a 44 foot semi low-loader and bring the stuff back to the uK.
Things were so bizzar then I had a BOGOF deal that included all the spares that could be palletised into the back of an M35/M54. Often this was a perfectly serviceble m35 cut up into easily manageable lumps.
Among these pallets were lots of strange stuff, I didn't know at the time but among this was lumps of probably M38A1 M37. At the time jeep stuff was useless as I was into M35/m54/M52/M41 etc.

Now I have a couple of PTOs all military and green from the start and in there wrapping. Funnilly my M38 came with a PTO fitted but not attached to anything.

Also I have the remains of some hydraulic pumps, probably a couple of complete systems BUT the brackets were never designed to fit a military M series generator, clearly these pumps should sit on a smaller civvy 12v generator.

I also have the remains of a couple of Konig?? drum winches, just the end plates that say Konig, (How I wish Ramsey) clearly I got the stillage with the end plates, somebody some place has the other stillage and is desperately looking for end plates I bet!!

And heaters........ jeeze, don't ask about vehicle heaters.

Over the years I've lost track of where this stuff came from AND so many European countries used US kit and bought alternative kit to fit vehicles they had bought from the US, ..... well you can see how complex it gets.

Anyway here's my questions.
1. What would the MIL use PTOs for, these are not winch PTOs but I suspect standard PTOs like farmers would use. Engineers ??? saw benches?? gennys??
2. Did the Mil ever use hydraulic pumps mounted on small diameter generators M606??, I can't see it myself.
3. Did the US mil use the Konig winch, there is the possiblity I could have a Dutch/Belgian/German/French pallet here. If the US never used the Konig winch then I know that pallet came from the Dutch/belgi/French or where ever,
Any information greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dave.
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

That stuff sounds very interesting!

I bet Wes or some of the other people that were in the military during that time frame could probably tell you about PTO's and their uses.

I grew up working with farm machinery and we used PTO driven stuff for all kinds of jobs.

I would be willing to be they were used on many f applications.

Heater kits too.

I could be wrong, but I think that some branches of the military retrofitted Koenig Winches.

Someone here should be able to help you out.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pumps may be power steering pumps for early GM (prior to 62) with generators. Many used the piggy back pump on the generator. A good example would be a 57 or 58 Chevy staff car or MP vehicle.

It is also possible a Eurpean manufacturer may have used the Novi governor and pump system with jeep products distributed there for snow plow power.

Someone a while back mentioned alicensed production program a European manufacturer had with Koenig for winches used on European built MV's.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought one pump home, but now its in the back of my 20ft container. Anyway, it looks like an aluninium tank with a round aluminium filler on the top. It has some long control rods and I think a valve bank with a double acting spool and a single acting spool.

A single pully on the front, as both pullys are utilised on the genny I can't see that this was ever a jeep application, but thye rods seem about the right length to get inside the tub from the front of the engine.

Is the govenor another single pully, with a bracket to attach it to the engine and then a oil filter like canister thing on the back of the pully that contains somethimng that rattles?? I think I might have handled one of then yeasterday and not recognised what it was.

Now that I've had 24 hrs to think about this I'm sure I helped somebody ' or was involved some how a few years ago in getting something similar from the states but I thought that was to work power tools or something.

I have been told (probably wrongly) that some jeeps had a PTO that could be conected to a towed genny or a road sweeper for run ways
I'll try and get some pictures,
All the best,
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: