Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Engine Rebuild Opinions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Rebuild Opinions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Engine Rebuild Opinions Reply with quote

I got a price today on the machine shop work for my 1962 USMC M38A1 original engine. $1550.00 7 to 8 weeks, plus parts as needed for the rebuild. I will do the rebuild.

The engine has a deep knock in the block and general loss of power and low compression but no smoke. This will be the 2nd or 3rd rebuild and first civilian rebuild. Still 24 volt with a 12 volt inverter for turn signals and stop lights. Other than that it is all original.

Just wanted to get opinions and recent experiences with parts, etc. How far do you guys take a rebuild on a running engine. Do you rebuild all the other components too? Some of the parts on these '62 engines are unique and not found on earlier or later A1's.

The machine shop is slow but they build race car engines so this is more filler work for them.

I plan on getting rid of the inverter and use a 24 volt generator so it is all original again.

This jeep is used as a daily driver.

Thanks!
53a1

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500 seems high for just the machine work but if that's the only game in town you have no choice.
Ranger

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit high to me, I was quoted 900 for just the machine work at my local machine shop.
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise. The last time I did this I was quoted $650. That was awhile ago. The biggest factor to me along with the price was the slow speed. About twice as long as another shop I have used.

I was hoping to get this jeep back on the road while it was still warm out! Very Happy
wallisek

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with others, $1500 just for labor sounds awful high. I recently rebuilt my Jeep Comanche 4cyl 2.5L motor. A little over $500 for all block work including cam grind and crank. Another $480 in parts which I sourced. Really good price though cyl head was quoted at almost $400 just for labor. I declined and just went with a reman head for $200. This is the second jeep motor I've rebuilt and it seems like all the local shops are really expensive when it comes to heads.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before jumping to conclusions we should have you enlighten us a little on just what machine work the shop is basing their estimate on. What of the following items are being done by the shop and what are the individual price quotes? I assume if you are doing the final assembly that you are also doing most of the light cleaning as well and most of the dimenaion checking? If you are simply disaasembling your engine and delivering the boxed engine to your shop then $1500 is not totally unreasonable.

1-Hot tank the block and head.
2-Detailed inspection of the crank and rods.
3-Detailed inspection of the block and head.
4-Detailed inspection of all valve train parts.
5-Grind valves and seats.

This is a basic cleanup and inspection. Anything else is considered repairs and should be listed separately.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes, the shop will do all measurements and inspect the engine for damage and how out of spec. it is from standard. They wanted to do all the measurement work themselves so I just deliver the disassembled and cleaned engine parts.

The engine runs but is pretty messed up and they know that.

The $1550 base price includes full inspection and measurements, hot tanking, Magna Flux inspection, rebore and crankshaft inspection/grinding and or repair. Camshaft too. Plus a valve job with hardened valve seats. Any and all parts are extra cost and need to be provided by me, although they can help. They were thrilled I was going to do the rebuild. Not sure that is a good sign. Very Happy

They have the capacity to do crankshaft repair too.

The biggest factor for me is experience. Their machinist has over 40 years of experience and has done some of these engines so it is not a totally new experience. Locally they have a stellar reputation for providing custom race car engines. Antique engines are a minor part of their work.

The slow speed of the work is a big problem for me. It is twice as long as the last time I did this.

I know of a few other shops but they are more production oriented for newer engines or they have younger guys who have not worked on the old jeep engines.

I am going to call the other shops on Monday for comparison and maybe a few out of my area for comparison. It might be the going rate around here these days?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The $1550 base price includes full inspection and measurements, hot tanking, Magna Flux inspection, rebore and crankshaft inspection/grinding and or repair. Camshaft too. Plus a valve job with hardened valve seats. Any and all parts are extra cost and need to be provided by me, although they can help. They were thrilled I was going to do the rebuild. Not sure that is a good sign.

You should have them quote the basics inspection costs separate from any repairs. Also have the rep[airs quoted separately. This way you can shop other shops and compare apples to apples. It is a bit presumptive of them to include a rebore and crank grinding in an estimate on an engine they haven't seen yet.

Any good machine shop can do the hot tanking and inspection for you no matter what type engines they normally do. If they lack the technical data for your old engine just loan them your engine manual.

Wait till the entire inspection is complete and make no agreements to any further repairs until you have reviewed the inspection report and had a chance to shop repair options.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BullRun

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, hopefully I'll have this worked out by tomorrow.
BullRun

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your advise. You saved me a ton of money and most important time.

I talked to several more auto machine shops. Here's the scoop.

$1500 seems to be the going rate for a full engine machine shop job and 8 weeks or more turnaround time from the other local shops.

So, I called a regional CarQuest warehouse that is kind of in the sticks that also has a machine shop and struck gold.

They will do a completly machined, repaired top to bottom, ready to rebuild engine for $855 max., parts are extra but so were the others. Best of all... 2 week turnaround tops. It would be quicker but their machinist is getting married. It is May!

Even better the shop supervisor starts rattling off all kinds of technical specs. off the top of his head about the F-Head. Who needs a manual when you have it memorized.

So, by the middle of June another M38A1 will be back on the road.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: