Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M416 Trailer Spring Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M416 Trailer Spring Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: M416 Trailer Spring Question Reply with quote

I know this is not a trailer question site but I figure someone on this data base has the answer to my question and I don't know where else to ask. I have been searching for a M416 trailer for my M38A1 and noted in some ads it was mentioned that the springs had been converted to an over the axle configuration.

What is the reason for this conversion and what does it take away from the originality of the trailer? Big no-no or it's okay because it improves the trailer in some way. Also does it change the bed height? In pictures I have seen, the bed height looked the same.

Anyone know about this?

Mariposa Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring over is the term for changing the relative positions of the axle and the springs. Originally the axle was mounted to the upper surface of the springs. When you do a spring over you move the axle to the lower surface of the This will raise the entire trailer about 6". The only result here is a trailer that sits 6" higher and looks gainly to say the least. There is an improvement in approach and departure angles but that is only a requirement of extreme off roading. Keep in mind it also raises the lunette height 6" so your tow vehicle will need to be quite tall.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose I should have posted on this trailer site but thought it might be used for M100 only. In the picture posted for one trailer that had this conversion, it did not appear the trailer was any higher than stock. I suspect either camera angles or maybe the picture was taken pre conversion. This is not a conversion I would want since I want to pull it behind my M38A1 so I will avoid those in my search.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are easily converted back. So if you find a tall one cheap buy it. It is physically impossible not to get 4 to 6" taller when this mod is done with the stock springs.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: