Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Data plate letter size.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Data plate letter size.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Data plate letter size. Reply with quote

My m38 had new data plates on when i got it. Anyone know the size of the stamped info that has to go on them? Thanks john jr
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post your serial number and DOD and contract number and I can post an illustration appropriate to your specific unit.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: Data plate Reply with quote

Wes, didnt have the old plates on it. In an old posting, i used the vin for the hood number of 20962451. I cant find your response as to any info provided with that number for the other stuff. What i was thinking of doing was stamping the info on myself but dont know the size of the die stamp to use. Hope that isnt to confusing. Thanks john jr
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you estimated a serial number (Willys vehicles do not have VIN's from Willys or Kaiser) based on your hood number? That can backfire on you if that serial is already registered to another jeep. Not just in Illinois. Had a friend up here buy a MB and when he took the seller's title to the DMV to re-title it the serial bounced as in use already for the same make/model jeep. They confiscated his title, launched an investigation and a long while later sorted out who legally was entitled to use that serial. The moral of the story is "Don't interpolate a new serial number from vague data bases".

The hood number 20962451 would have been a JUL 52 M38A1. The A1 production started out in Jul 52 with the 20960XXX numbers.

What serial number is on your Illinois title?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jeeptj1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, my title from the state has the vehicle identification number as 62451. It says 1952 willys m38. Does that help with anything. Thanks john jr
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes MC62451 is an April 1952 unit built under contract DA-33-019-ORD-43 and would have had an original hood number around 20910XXX.

You did the right thing by fabricating a hood number using your serial number.

Your serial plate should look like this.

If you shop around you can find new replacement serial plates with the -43 contract number on them.

jeeptj1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, thanks for the info. John jr
rwbow1969

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Jr.
I have a NOS unstamped plate that you may be interested in. I used all of the other plates on my M38 but I didn't need this one. It is DA-33.019-ORD-43 and is identical to the one in the picture Wes put up. My DA number is different for June 51. This came from a complete set rivited to the backing plate, still wrapped in the paper dated 6/52. If your interested PM me. $20 for the plate and postage. I don't need it, but I would like for it to go to good use. Army Jeep Parts stamped mine. Did a nice job too. Very Happy
Thanks, Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: