Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Cross Member Radiator Tabs
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - I'm getting a old Pyrene fire extinguisher
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm getting a old Pyrene fire extinguisher
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: I'm getting a old Pyrene fire extinguisher Reply with quote

to mount inside the jeep. I know these were used in circa WWII jeeps, anyone have an idea where they were mounted? I also grabbed (at the low price of $19) a military decontamination dispenser, and I was thinking of mounting it in the vehicle as well.

Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
jeepman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most WW2 jeeps had the fire extinguisher mounted on the side panel below the dash on the drivers side.Did you get the mounting bracket with your extinguisher?If not repro are availiable from most of the WW2 jeep parts suppliers.You could mount your decomtaminater on the passenger side panel under the dash.The very early WW2 jeeps had the extinguisher mounted there.On WW2 jeeps the decomtaminator units were usually mounted on the rear of the front fenders but this wont work with a M38a1 design.Hope this helps.
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually the one I am getting, and I don't think it has the mounting bracket. Same with the decontamination dispenser. Any idea what supplier sells these?

Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
evanso1975

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a picture in Ryan's M38 guide showing the fire extinguisher mounted on the top edge of the under-seat tool box (sort of between the driver & font passenger seats. Seems like the best place. Don't know if you have space in the M38A1 though.

For the extinguisher bracket, don't forget that a lot of classic cars carried these too. Check out some of the classic car vendors. Avoid chrome plated ones though; shiny stuff only seems to add $$$. Wink

Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal post WWII location was on the back slanted surface of the left front fender on the M38 and on the dash on the M38A1.

For the decontaminator postwar jeeps had a permanent mount pad on the top of the passenger seat tool box at the front. It can be difficult to find the bracket that fits the spacing of the two mount pads.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wesk-I knew you would have the answer! Where was the fire extinguisher mounted on the dash? And was there a mount on the tool box lid, or did you have to drill holes to mount the bracket?
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 pads on the top of the tool box are for the decontaminator and Willys made no other provisions for mounting any bottles of any type. The locations that have been mentioned thus far are all based on the occasional observations of photos of in service jeeps and what was found when the current owner bought the jeep. Any military guidance on locations for fire extinguishers would have been suggestive in nature and not directive. The common M38A1 dash mounting area is right below the data plates. Since hole for fire extinguisher brackets were not made at the factory I would not contribute to the multiple unknown origin hole dilemma endured by so many new jeep owners and if I really wanted an unusable antique extinguisher in the jeep I would lay it somewhere in the jeep or in the tool box.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but I can get a usable one, and one that looks era specific will be far better than a shiny red modern one!
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just which fire bottle servicing outfit is going to service an antique bottle with a no longer allowed chemical?

Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the seals are good, I can get it filled with a modern, legal agent. I do have a local guy who has an old one, still full.
www.danhenk.com
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I just did some reading up on carbon tetrachloride. Not something I want in a daily driver.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyrene and Carbon Tec were still in use when I was in the military in the 60's. Those bottles cannot be legally filled until they have a hydrostatic test and they also have a fixed age life limit. I doubt very seriously any licensed fire bottle servicing outfit will service them for you. I have been dealing with antique aircraft restos and I even had a tough time getting old 1940's CO2 bottles recerted and loaded.

You should just do what so many before have done and just clean it up and set the pretty restored bottle in the jeep for show.

If you ever have a jeep fire you are going to want a bottle that is legal, serviced and ready to use. They will be painted red so in the HEAT of the moment you don't have to fumble around trying to find it. Wink

Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll have to listen to you Wes. I kind of have a problem with putting empty, unusable items up just for show. I think I'll get a good extinguisher, and mount it back on the firewall or something. Maybe a silver one so it doesn't look quite so ridiculous.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The military has been carrying red fire extinguishers on it's vehicles for well over 50 years. I wouldn't call them ridiculous looking. I carry a red extinguisher in each of my jeeps and my M37. I usually stow them in the tool box. No added bolt holes and out of site.

Deadguy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, maybe ridiculous isn't the right word. Maybe I want more of a classic, antiquated look. That's why I went with the old style of turn signals, and the 3 lever light switch.
www.danhenk.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: