Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Photos of M38CDN pics
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos of M38CDN pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pickle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Photos of M38CDN pics Reply with quote

Found a couple of photos from the Archives when look for military markings. Thought I would share with the group. One interesting one with interesting radio antenna placement there are a couple of others there as well.

Still trying to figure out how to post pics...
Bretto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any distinction of a m38CDN from a M38 just by looking at them from the exterior like these pics to tell the 2 models apart? Aside from obvious markings and some field gear they look identical, even looks like the Canadians liked the same color.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M38 CDN

No patent plate

Serial plate on dash is CDN specific

CAR # (Canadian Armed Forces) registration is stamped on the top of the left front frame rail.

Convoy lamp under rear near rear crossmember illuminates the rear axle pumpkin at night which is usually painted a light color. It has an additional switch on the dash.

No Jeep script on the front of the tool box.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, probably a hard question to answer but what is the likelihood of a CDN M38 being put onto a US M38 frame? This goes back to the constant search and question about the origin of my M38 body tub. Everything on it points to original except for the lack of "Jeep" script on the front of the toolbox. Unfortunately, all the data plates are gone.
Thanks!
SteveJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jump in Wes. As part of the requirement by the Canadian Government that the trucks be built in Canada under contract Ford of Canada built the M38CDN except for the first few hundred. You still run across some of the early ones with the jeep script on the tool box. Once Ford got sorted out they stamped their own panels for the body. Its unlikely that ford would intentinally stamp Jeep or Willys on anything they made. Its like the GPW. Ford made sure they put their mark on just about every part.
Yours could have been repaired at one time and I guess it is posssible that one found its way there and was mixed in with a us built chassis. I find at this age of the vehicles you cannot disount any possibility. Smile
1991 Reynolds Boughton RB44 GS TUH
1952 M38 CDN W/W (Sold)
1953 M100 CDN Trailer
1951 PE95K Genset (Sold)
pickle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a couple more. Wes, I have posted these in the historical photos. If you want, I will post more as I find them.

Regarding the identification, another identifier (which I don't have on mine), is that identifier similar to the frame stamp (please someone correct me if I am wrong) is painted either on the side of the hood or more so beneath the driver and passenger side door (see photo).

In this photo, the colors of the jeep appear darker?? These guys are chaplins, but I am curious about the colours. A couple of other things that the M38CDN have are the license plate holder below the bumper (see photo)
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canadian Forces Number (CAR) was stamped on the frame and painted on the side of the jeep.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BrianG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle,

Thanks very much for posting the M38CDN pictures.

Re the photo "chaplains near M38 CDN", is the CFR# 52 - 31925?

Do you have any more info on that particular picture (like date or place) and are there any more photos of that particular M38?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Brian
pickle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian:

there are a couple more photos of that particular jeep (they are in the archives), but I will have to dig them up. the location is Gagetown. I don't think they had a date for it. I believe that is the CFR.

Mk
BrianG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickle,

Thanks for your reply. I sure hope you can access the other photos.

My interest in CFR # 52-31925 is because I have owned it for the last 15 years. This is my lucky day to find an "in service" picture of it.

Cheers,

Brian
pickle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted a number in the historical photos folder. the only other one that I could find of that jeep (confirmed) is a blow up of the same photo.

One other thing I noticed about this jeep and another is that they actually had hood ornaments to depict who it belongs to. Notice the gold crosslike figure, and in another that appeared to be a commander's, there was like another gold "tank" figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: