Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - What year is it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What year is it
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raydon01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: What year is it Reply with quote

WEll not to be confused with my early post. This is my 1st jeep. I have had it for about 3 years. It was a project where all interior was striped out of the inside.No dash ,no wiring.no gas tank ,no motor,no id tag behind the passenger seat. No seats . The tub, running gear,rearend,trans.front end is all there. My question is what do I have What year I do know it is an M38a1. The battery box cover was gone ,but it latches with one long strap that goes the length on the battery cover. Not sure but I have been told it has to be 1954 or later because of the battery cover. I was told early m38a1s had batttery covers that had several small thumb screws to hold them down. Can you guys help?
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the grill have one center mounting bolt or a hinge on each frame rail that the grill pivots on? What does the seam on the fenders (from the cowl to the fender well) look like? Does it have the fording valves and cables installed?

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still a Dec 1954 unit.

Do yourself a favor and download the free ORD 9 SNL G-758 M38A1 parts manual. Then look up the components that have serial number information due to a change. For an example your box lid changes at serial number MD63252 (OCT 1953) so as I told you in your other post your jeep is most likely a DEC 1954 unit. I based the estimate of your date of delivery on my data base of M38A1 serial numbers which number well over a thousand.

Have you completed the M38A1 survey form I sent to you when you joined our web site?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
raydon01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: what year is it Reply with quote

Well here goes. No I have not completed the survay. I am sorry to say it was lost before I could get past much of it. I know it was aloy of trouble to up load to me. I am sorry about that,but if you could send it again it would be great. My email address is kovie01@gmail.com. Thanks Donald
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the mail!

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gunter635

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: survey sheet Reply with quote

WES What survey sheet do you speak of? I don't recall seeing one when I joined. Thanks. Stephen
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of folks are so excited to join the group they miss the attachments to their emails. Check your mail. Also it helps to list your make/model jeep owned in your signature element in your profile.

raydon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: what year Reply with quote

Wilfreeman- here is the answer to you questions. The grill has a hinge on each frame arm. Not one bolt in the center.The fenders have a seam that runs at an angle from the firewall down to the wheels, at about a 45 angle. No fording equipment. Nothing under hood at all.no motor no gneerator no nothing.Just frame arms and wheels and front defferental. I have read (how to post pic) I still do not know how topost them. I am not very much a computer guy.
raydon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: What year is it Reply with quote

Wer I do not understand how to get my pic(which I have taken several and put them on my conputer memoriy.) on the www,mypiggallery.com web site.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raydon,

If you have a battery box that has a single strap, that is a late (second generation - starting around 11/53) feature.

The angled fender seams and tilting grill are early (first generation, 1952 - 11/53) features. Another early feature was a freestanding grill (no rods running from cowl to radiator).

The fording equipment was discontinued on early models, although it could have been added by individual units (including USMC).

As Wes said, your serial # suggests Dec '54 delivery - if anybody knows, he does. I am still learning on a daily basis. So, to me, it sounds like you have a late tub and data plates, and an early grill (and possibly frame?) and fenders. Whatever your title says, which should your serial # and 1954, is what you have - change the front end to late model.

Here is a link with some resources that are in one place:
http://www.m38a1.com/Models/models_original.htm

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is the serial MD 79080 is not originally from that jeep. Do you have a dash serial plate with number on it?

raydon01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: what year is it Reply with quote

I will fill out the survey and get back to you. To answer a few things. There is no dash plate or fender plate behind the pass seat. That is why I do not know the year. The serial no. md 79080 is on my 2nd m38a1. Two different jeeps here. Both are a work in progress. Wink I will most likely have to sell the 1954 m38a1 . I can't seem to work on two at once. I could not help myself when I had the chance to buy another one. I guess you guys know what I mean.
raydon01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: what year is it Reply with quote

I finally got pic of my jeep.[img]jeep_pic_jd_jeep_006.sized.jpg[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now your original question makes sense. You did not make this clear on the first post or the other thread that you had two M38A1's.

M38A1 #1: Owned for three years and has no identification plates on it.

Quote:
This is my 1st jeep. I have had it for about 3 years. It was a project where all interior was striped out of the inside.No dash ,no wiring.no gas tank ,no motor,no id tag behind the passenger seat. No seats . The tub, running gear,rearend,trans.front end is all there. The battery box cover was gone ,but it latches with one long strap that goes the length on the battery cover. (late battery lid used from OCT 53 on)

The grill has a hinge on each frame arm. Not one bolt in the center. (early grill with hinges used up to SEP/OCT 53.) The fenders have a seam that runs at an angle from the firewall down to the wheels, at about a 45 angle. (early fender with diagonal seam used thru MAR 54) No fording equipment. Nothing under hood at all.no motor no generator no nothing.Just frame arms and wheels and front defferental.

Based on the info provided this jeep would have been about an OCT 53 jeep.

M38A1 #2: A recent acquisition with a patent plate with MD79080 on it.
Quote:
My serial number is MD 79080. Question 1 - What year is it. 1954 I think.

This one is a DEC 1954 unit.

Your previous post has the location of the photo on your computer. It cannot be loaded to this page that way. You must first load it to a photo hosting web site. Then link it here.

My Pic Gallery has gone out of business.

raydon01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: What year is it. Reply with quote

This question is about postion my photo. I have been trying to post them for days.I am not very computed savey. My post shows my ing address of the photo not the pic From the photo gallery I posted there.Yet you have the pic. Did I post it right or did you have to go get it from the photo gallery? With this knoweldge I can post more. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: