Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - What to do about front turn signal lights
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do about front turn signal lights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How should I do my turn signal lights
Orange lenses on B.O. marker lights
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Small, rectangular LED lights mounted on the grill or elsewhere
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
2" round, orange lights mounted under the B.O. marker lights
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A seperate turn signal light like the old M151s mounted on the fenders
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: What to do about front turn signal lights Reply with quote

I've got a quick question and a poll. I put the poll on my blog, but I havent been getting too many votes (a lot of visits, but only 6 votes).

Anyway, I've been trying to decide how to do my turn signal lights on the front of my 'a1. My 'a1 is all military and original except for the turn signals.

Here are my choices:
1) I found some small LED lights (rectangular, 2"x 1") at o reilly that I like. It says designed for 12v systems, but I thought that LEDs would work on 24v systems also - right or wrong? Where should I put them?
2) I have the orange covers that fit the B.O. marker lights. I would also put dual filament socket and bulb in them for park light and turn.
3) Install a round turn signal under the B.O. lighton each side -about the same size (2"round)
4) Put M151 style turn signal lights on the fenders
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gunter635

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy did I luck out on the turn signal issue. I talked to the sheriff today and they told me that if it didn't come with turn signals not to worry about putting them on my a1. Hence I voted for the small led in the grill. That way they would remain hidden for the most part.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty much the way south carolina is too - I would just rather have them on there (and look good). These days, if you throw your arm out and give a hand signal, most won't know what it means, some will never see it because they are on the phone or texting, and others might think you're flipping them the bird and will shoot you! I was thinking about my last option. I have some extra B.O. marker lights - they would look original sitting on the fenders for turn signals, and I wouldn't have to buy anything but wire.

So, gunter, the LED lights do work with 24v? Our are you running 12v now? Do you have a pc of yours on here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First check with your Motor Vehicle Office to find out if all the options you listed are legal in your state.

Next decide what look you want to live with the next few years.

Then post what is left of your option list.

My personal preference is the standard mods to keep the changes easily reversible to stock.
1-Convert front marker lamps to two filament bulbs. (one filament marker and one filament turn signal)Add amber lens.
2-add the wire from left to right at the rear and install a second left tail light assembly on the right and use it for service stop and turn Use the stock left lens or the all red gama goat lens.
3-Install any of the three turn signal controls. The easiest is the standard 24 volt civvy 900 seri Signal Stat.

All of these options have already been discussed on this web site in GREAT detail. Just do a search using the terms "turn signals".

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
mckim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What to do about front turn signal lights Reply with quote

wilfreeman wrote:
1) I found some small LED lights (rectangular, 2"x 1") at o reilly that I like. It says designed for 12v systems, but I thought that LEDs would work on 24v systems also - right or wrong? Where should I put them?

You'll probably burn out the LEDs doing that. There's a resistor inline with the LED that is "sized" for 12V. Using it with a 24V system will result in twice as much current going through the LED than it should. Result - burned out LED, just like using a 12V standard bulb in a 24V system.

Good ol' Ohm's Law: I=V/R where:
I = current
V = voltage
R = resistance
so if you double the voltage without changing the resistance, the current doubles. It's doubtful the resistor can be changed in those lights.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and I've read a good many of them. I didn't specify before, but I installed a new wiring harness with turn signal wiring built in. I used a newer turn signal switch and solid state flasher mounted on the firewall. I have a second left rear light fitted. I'll post pics this evening when I get home. Everything works great - I just can't decide which way I want to go for the front lights - leaning toward the small LEDs mounted somewhere on the grill, but that wouldn't look period correct (of course the switch and flasher don't either). The amber lenses on the B.O. markers would look period correct for a CJ. The B.O.markers with amber lenses on the fenders would require holes, but would look more correct than the big 3" round ones you see on farm equipment.

Maybe I'll just buy some of the small rectangular leds and take pics of each way I am thinking of doing it, and decide that way - still wanting everyone's input though!
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well - I guess thats one choice out of the way, unless I can find some 24v ones
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are LED lamps out there with about a 6 to 34 volt rating. Which works with that entire voltage spread. Just shop the truck lighting outfits.

Period correct is relative to the period your jeep represents. None of the additions are correct for a factory resto but any can be correct for a motor pool resto but which depend on what period your jeep represents. So to help with your survey try to tell us what period in the life span of your jeep are you wanting it to represent?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I remembered someone recommending using LED bulbs on trailers that you plan on using behind your civi or military vehicle.

I have pretty much decided to mark her with my dad's USAR markings from the mid to late 60's.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That period fits fine with both of the military turn signal systems and the amber marker lamp lens.

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - that makes it simple then! So they did use the amber lenses on the marker lights? I don't know if I've ever seen an in-service pic of an 'a1 with them. Of course, I may not have been paying attention either. I'll start looking again.

Thanks for the info Wes
AeroE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a custom harness made with dual military/civilian lighting arrangement. When on the road I use M151 lenses on the front BO marker lights, & plain red lenses on the standard military light bodies on the rear, A simple change out of the Douglass connectors gives me turn signals & running/stop lights. It wasn’t expensive or complicated; factory military appearance is retained (after lenses/connector changeover). Frankly I don’t see another way to do it.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few pics I took. The one with the B.O. markers on the fenders is hard to see because I just took it (just got home from work). The second pic was just a set of lenses taped to the grill.

gunter635

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilfreeman, your answer to the question about the led's is previous owner changed the electrics to 12 volt. I still think the led in the grill would be the way to go. They are bright enough to be seen and can be hidden by the grill. But I like the way you did your lights. If I decide to do a lot of driving on the road with mine, I'll most likely add turn signals.
Bretto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done redoing or modding my M38 front markers with new sockets and I will be running a 2 wire with dual filament amber bulb in the housing. I also removed the cateyes and will just have the clear rectagular lens on the housing door. That way I will have a brighter turn signal and the normal brightness of a parking marker. They have sockets at the local auto parts shops, it just takes a little modification. There are some more on the tail end of my photobucket (link below)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: