Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Need some ID Help.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some ID Help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
army_inc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Need some ID Help. Reply with quote

Ok, this may seem like a stupid question to some of you, but I have absolutely no idea what this is! This is my first jeep and I'm stumped on what this is. Any ideas? Two pictures. Two items that I don't know what they are. http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album135&id=wtf&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

It has a 12 V tab on it, but I can't really read anything else. This next one, I have two of. The second is as complete as the one pictured. I have no idea what it is, and if it is a 12V or 24V part. I don't even know if it requires a certain amount of voltage.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album135&id=wtf1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Thanks for your help guys as it is greatly appreciated.
hill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Need some ID Help. Reply with quote

The first is a generator and the other is a starter both look to be 12 volt for the early four cylinder engine. The starter looks as though it uses a solenoid to work unlike the military ones with foot control switch and the generator would need a regulator to operate.
army_inc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap... Oh well. Maybe it's looking to be a 12V 38A1 then... I now have a 12V distributor, starter, and generator. I already have the engine. I'm assuming that's a lot of money right there I can save as I only have a 24V starter... Man. Decisions decisions...
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read my answer to your other post then I will say this: Don't waste your time on that old Delco 12 volt generator. It was probably jury rigged into the military generator mount and by the time you have it bench checked and buy the regulator for it you could have bought a nice 60 amp Delco one wire (internal regulator) alternator. Sell the generator to someone wanting to restore a 1957 or newer CJ5/6, CJ3B or DJ3A OR WAGON/TRUCK. If you decide to go 24 volt same with the starter. What model starter is the open face starter at the right of the starter picture? If no tag on it how many teethe are on the drive pinion gear?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
army_inc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read your other post Wes. Good to know that I can get a decent alternator for a decent price. I haven't priced them yet. I may have just the person to sell some of this 12V stuff to. Thanks again!
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
What model starter is the open face starter at the right of the starter picture? If no tag on it how many teethe are on the drive pinion gear?

There are 10 teeth on the drive pinion gear. Other than that, no tag.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 teeth make it a WWII or CJ2A starter. MZ4113 (6V) or the more rare MZ4124 (12V)

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's good to know. I have no use for it so I guess I'll sell that. Although, I have no clue how much this stuff is worth.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the WWII stuff just visit the Ron F's store web site and check current new or overhauled exchange prices and used without warranty, proof of a current overhaul or certification is half of new.
http://www.g503.com/parts/

For the civvy stuff: http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/willys-jeep-electrical-parts-accessories

For example:
Quote:
Factory Rebuilt Starter Motor 6 volt
Fits 41-49 MB, GPW, CJ-2A
Factory Rebuilt Starter Motor

Comes complete with bendix ready for install. Painted Black.

For Autolite MZ-4113 in 6 volt

Application:
4-134 L engine

Fits:
41-45 MB
41-45 GPW
46-49 CJ-2A

Note:
Customer core must be sent in prior. Call for details.
Enlarge image
Email this to a friend
Bookmark this page
Printer-friendly version
Item # Price Qty
A1245 $215.00 ---
Call for Details

So your MZ4113 would be valued as is about $107.50

If you ops checked it yourself you could jack that price to say $125.

If you had it properly bench checked where torque and current draw are accurately measured and have a receipt and notice of good health you could move the price up a bit more like $150.00

Or if you make no effort to warranty or provide evidence of working condition then whatever core value is is all you can expect to get. Core value is often in the 20 to 25% range.

army_inc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow. I had no idea it was worth that much! It came with a bunch of other parts from a parts jeep. I mean, I'm just ready to sell it to make my wife happy. I don't really want to deal with checking it or anything like that. I mean, it'd be nice, but I'd have to find a place that does it, take it there, etc.... To me it isn't worth it. Unless they can do it PDQ. I appreciate it Wes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: