Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Electrical Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electrical Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFoley

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Electrical Problem Reply with quote

I am having some problems with my B/O driving headlight. When turned on it works for a few seconds and then you can hear a distinct "click" in the fuse panel and all the lights (dash lights, normal head lights, B/O convoy lights) go out. Turn all light switches to "off" position and a few seconds later another "click" is heard and the fuse panel I am assuming is resetting itself. Now checking the headlights and pannel lights evertything is OK but try to turn on the B/O headlights again and the dash lights and normal head lights go out again.

Obviously, I think the B/O headlight is somehow causing a fuse to blow. How do I figure out if this is a correct assumption, and how do I figure out which fuse and how do I fix it

Thanks,
kenperkins

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you disconnected the drive light at the fender to eliminate it ?
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a process of elimination starting with the light itself. As kenperkins asked, "have you disconnected the light"?

Disconnect the light, Turn on the light switch.

Does circuit breaker trip? Yes....No

If "No", then I would say the short to ground is somewhere between from where you disconnected the wire going to the light to inside the fixture itself. (Replace Light)

If "Yes", then the problem is in the wire going back to the switch, or in the switch itself.

Disconnect the plug on the light switch. Leave wire disconnected at light fixture also.

Disconnect batteries.

Now Assuming you know how to use an ohm meter.

Use an ohm meter to verify that wire has or has not a circuit path to ground in it.

Connect one lead of ohm meter to wire(either end), connect other lead of meter to a good non painted surface on the engine, chassis, or frame.

(If you don't have an ohm meter, there is another way you can make a continuity checker by using a 1-1/2 volt flash light battery and a 1-1/2 volt flash light bulb)(a simple device to check continuity). Or use two batteries and 3 volt bulb.

If you get a meter reading, (or a light "ON" condition using a battery and bulb) then I would say that wire has a circuit path to ground.

If the meter does not show any continuity at this point, (or light does not come ON), wiggle the wires to make sure the meter still doesn't show continuity to ground.

If still no continuity at this point, then I would say the problem is in the switch. (Replace the switch)

Checking the inside of that switch is something I haven't done yet.

That is how I would diagnose or trouble shoot it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: