Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - USAF Markings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USAF Markings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunter635

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: USAF Markings Reply with quote

I need help on final decision. Here's what I have. 1953 M38a1 Strada Blue. Her are the markings that are gong on it, but I need some help deciding which hood numbers to use. Yellow 3" lettering- U. S. AIR FORCE, 2nd line- 53B8056 or 20958056 Which one of these numbers do I use on the hood? also the "official use only" in yellow and 1" letters. Now for the bumperetts, I am going to use 340BS BAFB for Blytheville, AFB. Yellow or white for these? Last question---tire pressure and hood lock warning-yellow or white? If yellow, what color yellow? I'm also going to add this to the inside windshield "caution low flying aircraft" I kinda like that one. OK guys, what do you think?
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the USAF from 1974 - 1994, and all the Strata Blue vehicles I saw had "Insignia Yellow" for markings on both Bodies and Bumpers...

If you live near a Hobby store that sells Plastic models, then look for Testor's model paint... it comes in 5 oz sparay cans and you can get the proper color... This pain is oil based and will hold up well... I did my M-100 with it and worked great... the small cans allowed me to only use what I needsed and not have to by a large amount... also is ready to spray no mixing...

My opinion...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
evanso1975

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1953 would be about the time when the later serial numbers started to appear (53B8056 as per your post). If you don't have it, Portrayal Press sell a copy of TO 36-1-3 from 1958, which shows the new style of markings (the M38A1 in that manual has the markings below the door, btw).

As for vehicle codes, try getting a copy of TO 36-1-191. It's a more modern 2007 manual, but the vehicle codes are listed:

“B” Commercial, general purpose.
“C” Commercial, special purpose.
“D” Commercial Construction/Base Maintenance.
“E” Materials handling equipment.
“K” Military, general purpose.
“L” Military, special purpose.
“M” Military Construction/Base Maintenance.
“W” Vehicular type AGE.
“X” Nonreportable

"K" would probably be more accurate, and I saw a photo some time ago of an M38 arctic top door with "K" in the original serial number stencilling. Of course, it's your jeep and you're entitled to put whatever markings you want on. Wink

P.S. I've seen the TP stencil on the glove box door on USAF M38's........

Owen.

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
gunter635

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKCM38CDN- That's a great idea about the yellow model spray paint. I never would have thought of it. There's a hobby store nearby. I'll be checking there in the next few days. evanso1975- Thanks for the vehicle codes. I have been wanting to see what they were but didn't know where to get them. I randomly chose the B using it for Bomber. Wrong guess. Now I know what the correct one is. K will be used. I have only seen the numbers on the hood of the M38a1, but I haven't seen a lot of pictures, yet. I'll try to get a copy of TO 36-1-191. Thanks for the info. Looks like Yellow all the way. I'll try to get some pics posted when I get back into the garage.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeps delivered to the Air Force from the Army procurement system with the Army hood registration numbers were initially just updated by adding a "F" after the USA. This practice continued almost to the end of M38 production. Willys factory employees have indicated they saw Blue M38A1's rolling out from 53 on. The Air Force markings used several yellows over the years.
Chrome yellow with the old pre-FS-595 codes now FS 13432 & 13538 and
Insignia Yellow 13538. All three of these will work. AFTO 36-1-3 1958 is your best source for marking guidance.

The current 1993 version is at:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=USAF+36-1-3&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usaf-sig.org%2Findex.php%2Fdownloads%2Fcategory%2F27-color-information%3

also at:
http://g838.org/added_pages/manuals.html

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=USAF+36-1-3&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usaf-sig.org%2Findex.php%2Fdownloads%2Fcategory%2F27-color-information%3Fdownload%3D86%3Ato-36-1-3-painting-marking-lighting-requirements-for-usaf-vehicles&ei=eUj1T7HNNc2LrQGZoZHAAw&usg=AFQjCNHB7W23P2SCtuRpPpEAxBEFCloaqw

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
gunter635

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links and the info Wes. As always good info. That's why I'm addicted to this site. Here is a link to AFTO 36-1-3. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/76870-usaf-ground-vehicle-registration-numbers-2.html Scroll down to #16 and that is the TO. ssw
Beast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrome yellow or Chromate yellow are fancy words for what is commonly know as school bus yellow. Run down to your local napa and you can grab a full sized spray can that will be enough to do all the markings on the vehicle and still be cheaper than one of those little hobby cans from the hobby store. I'm at work right now but once i get home tonight and can get the item number off one of the cans I have lying around.

EDIT: found one can out back the shop from the last time I repainted a bridgewieght plaque. It is Dupli-Color DA1663 School Bus Yellow.
Delta Team Decals http://www.deltateamdecals.com/
gunter635

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: