Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Bad News Bears - M38A1 cracked block
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad News Bears - M38A1 cracked block

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeeplvr247

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Bad News Bears - M38A1 cracked block Reply with quote

I came home from a long weekend away from the jeep and saw a larger puddle than I expected on my floor cardboard. I was surprised to see that it was coolant and tracked it up to the point on the block where the shape changes from curved to flat. I had thought that the wet spot on the block was just from gas running out of the carb when it was flooded. My finances do not allow me to buy a parts jeep at this time and engines are hard to come by so I am not sure what to do now. The crack is so small it cannot really be seen, I can only tell it is there by wiping the area dry and looking for where the coolant shows first. Is there any solution short of a new block?

Here is a picture of where it is on the block: just above those wet streaks.
jeeplvr247

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The crack i thought to be the block turned out to be a crack in many layers of old soggy paint. I am still trying to track the source down. It looks like a small amount is coming from the point where the distributor enters the block. I have a suspicion that the majority may be coming from around the freeze plug and traveling under the old paint. I am going to scrape the rest of the old paint from the area and see what happens.
If I can get away without replacing seals for a while that would be good because I have plenty of projects on this jeep to keep me busy for the foreseeable future. I know the engine runs pretty cool compared to modern engines, would products like Bars-Leaks work in it?
madmike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have had good luck with Bars Leaks when the crack/leak was minor and not on a high pressure location. Since our older vehicles run lower radiator pressures I would certainly try that first, if you indeed have a block leak and since you are on a tight budget. Also, there are other products for this and of course welding is an option if you can find someone knowledgeable. JB Weld is also a good product.

Mike
jeeplvr247

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much to my relief it is not the block. It is just the freeze plug and a tiny bit from around the distributor. I am going to try the bars leaks first and if that does not work just replace the old seals.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal experience with stop leak and bars leak are they quickly start plugging the radiator core. I suggest just "Git er done" and fix the leak with a new freeze plug. Simple task.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I agree with Wes. I would add though that if one is rusted out.....well you know the rest of the story. Do all you can get to and be if you have not removed one before, do your homework on how to remove it without knocking it into the block. That can really ruin your day.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: