Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - It's Running
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's Running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: It's Running Reply with quote

Primed carb. Engaged starter, engine made about 3 revolutions and fired off. But died shortly there after for lack of gas. Reprimed carb. Tried it again. Zero. Poured some more gas in carb. tried it again. Zero. Checked for spark, was ok. Scratched my head. walked around in a cirle a couple of times. Removed plastic plug from carb vent port. Engaged starter again with throttle open slightly, Varooom, varooom, oil pressure up to 80 psi, temperature 180deg. adjusted idle to keep running. Oil pressure running 30psi at idle.

Focus is bad on Oil pressure gage, it is registering 40psi at about 800rpm's estimated.

Last edited by Cacti_Ken on Sun May 14, 2006 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, that looks awesome!!
How much of a rebuild did you do to the engine? It looks good!

Starting the engine the first time is always exciting. Its even cooler once the driveshafts and stuff are hooked up and they all spin. And even cooler than that when it moves under its own power.

How much more needs to be done before the tub can go back on? Also, is that high temp OD green on your exhaust? Where did you find that?!
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Ken... I know the feeling of having it start after so long... Most of us have.

Now to get the rest of the stuff done and get it on the road... I have been driving mine since last Labor day reliably and really enjoying it...

Next weekend I have my first parade (Armed Forces Day here in Del City) and a car show on the 3rd of June at Tinker... they do not have a catagory for Historic Military Vehicles, but I have entered anyway... figure I could get lucky and win the $200 prize... (Yeah and jeeps fly... Smile )

Keep at it Ken, you wil never finish it an that is the fun... Ask Maj Ben...
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, the engine was remanufactured, not just an overhaul. Rebored cyls. new pistons, valves, guides, of coarse all the bearings, oil pump.

The exhaust pipe below the manifold isn't painted.

Hal, you never can tell they might give you a prize for being patriotic and showing up with a piece of history.

In the last two weeks I have had the flaps, tubes and tires mounted and balanced. Last week I put brake fluid in the all new brake system and bled the air out, tightend up a few leaks. I had previously rebuilt the transmission and transfer case. Last week I also put the transmission on the engine. Then after I got it and the engine on the frame the other day I put the transfer case on. Last few days I filled the new batteries with electrolyte and had them on charge. and today I got the engine started.

Tomorrow I want to get the voltage regulator mounted, and polarize the generator. then see if it is working.

I did notice some moisture around the top of some of the head bolts. I'm not sure if the shop put any sealer around the head studs.
I may have to take the nuts offs and check that before I put antifreeze in it.

I guess next is tube up the vent system. And I noticed a couple small water drips from the radiator hoses. Only had one small oil drip from the inlet to the oil filter.

I still have to get the new exhaust pipe and muffler to fit. I put the old pipe and muffler back on to suffice while I got the engine running.

I guess after that comes laying the wiring harness on the frame, then the tub is ready to go on.

I hope I can stay with it now till it is finished with out any interruptions.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, on your water seepage around the head bolts, try retorquing them, after you get it warm that may help... I did mine 3 tmes to be safe... onece when I replaced all the bits and pieces, after a warm up and finally after it got to temprature... just a suggestion.

Hope this helps...
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

That is great news. Gets me excited just thinking about it.

I hope to be in your position with mine in the next couple of months.

Very Happy Cool

Did you get my PM on the tires/tubes?
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Hal I'll try retorcing the head stud nuts.
Should I do that when the engine is warm, Hot or cold?

I will also have to remove the rear manifold stud and seal it. The machine shop replaced a broken one there. But they drilled through into the water jacket. That cavity is right next to the cylinder wall. And this morning I noticed a drop of water on the nut. Hope I won't have a problem sealing it. I guess permatex should fix it.

Ryan I didn't read your PM until this morning.
A couple of weeks ago I went ahead and had the tire shop put the flaps tubes and tires together. I had a concern that the flaps were really loose on the rim. The fella at the tire shop did a good job of putting them on. So We'll see how the work out.
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torque the nuts when cold...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: