Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Seat belts or no seat belts??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seat belts or no seat belts??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m37m38

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Seat belts or no seat belts?? Reply with quote

Just finishing my restoration - I am pondering seat belts.

I drive around town for fun - not a daily driver

i carry my kids age 11, 14 & 14

We take it out in the desert on easy to medium trails.

I am kind of thinking I do not want to be strapped to a vehicle without a rollbar but on the other hand I don't want to fly out of the vehicle if we get hit on the road

ANY THOUGHTS GUYS????

Dave
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of the states don't give you a choice. The front seats have to have seat belts if used on the public highway system. With passengers irregardless of age any speed over 15 MPH should be provided belts. Any trail driving should include a roll bar. Just geting hit in a rear corner by a car doing 20 MPH can roll her over or toss passengers many feet from the jeep. JMHO

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ryan

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on usingmy m38 on a regular basis. Where can I get a rollbar for it that would still allow me to use the right military summer top? also where would it bolt to? just the rear fenderwell?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the legal system today most producers of the famous jeep style roll bar now label them show bars. Having had these universal jeeps upside down the show bars do the job. They aren't perfect and they will tear off on violant sideway roll overs but that initial thump on the head is usually avoided.

There is only one original top for the M38 and M38A1 called a canvas winter top. The summer top is an aftermarket thing. Most show bars should fit under them and yes they bolt to the top of the rear fenderwells.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Jeeps4Brains

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In SC if the car did not come with them from the factory you are not required to have seatbelts. Then again we did away with our inspection laws about 15 years ago. We might have to do a 180 in a few years due to emission laws pending.

I would seriously consider adding seat belts. I spent years riding a motorcycle and you don’t want to be thrown from the vehicle.

I have heard of people welding a tab or ear to the seat support bar underneath the side of the seat. It would stick out parallel to the bottom of the seat. Then you bolt the seat belt to this when you want to use it. If you go to a show then you undo the bolt and remove the belts. Someone would have to know where to look to find the mounting point.

Just an idea.
Bob_C
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend seatbelts. Like you, I was reluctant to use them since all I could find were the car ones (of course) with the orange / red PUSH button and stuff.

Luckily for me, my dad got a new seatbelt + shoulder harness kit for our Piper Comanche - so I got lucky and got our old airplane seatbelts. No pushbuttons or rollers for winding them, just a nifty buckle. Looks slightly more militaryish.

Will take a picture of it soon.
m37m38

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: belts Reply with quote

I know that there are military belts available. I appreciate all of the feedback. It is a tough decision. driving without a rollbar (I have one if anyone wants it - Tucson AZ ). as well as without belts is not the safest way to go. Modifiying a fully restored jeep is a dilema but the safety factor has to come first - especially with my kids in the jeep. I just would hate to be strapped into the thin if it rolled for any reason.

Dave
PeteL

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an EMT/Firefighter I can tell you we recommend seatbelts - it saves us from searching the woods for the bodies.....

In all seriousness, I have wrestled with the same questions you raise, but I think I will come down in favor of belts, even if there are drawbacks.

It seems almost every accident I see with someone "ejected," the vehicle rolls across them or comes to rest on top of them. Never a pretty sight.

Just my opinion.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: