Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Transfer case
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Transfer case Reply with quote

Okay TM-9 1804b for disassembley. page 75 section e. It says to use a brass drift to drive out countershaft W, how? the case is solid on one end of the shaft... I must be missing something just not sure what. Embarassed
Bretto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the front of the case, the end of the shaft is exposed. It is a taper fit to the case. It will drive out from front to back after you remove the locking plate on the rear of the case.
Maybe you just have too much gunk built up on it to tell.

Have you read this?
http://www.willystech.com/wt/Model18TCase/Model18TransferCase.html
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a pic of my back end, I have put it back together for the moment so it takes up a bit less room.

now unless the shaft is larger at this end, in which case it will not drive out anyways this is solid case... I think... Kind of cold today and my garage is unheated so I have to wait for another day to really whap this thing, I did give it a couple good hits before just in case but nothing moved.
Interesting article. Technicaly I really don't have to take this apart much, the gears are rough so need replacing and the case is busted, if I remember right you can't properly weld cast pieces, so its pretty much just practice and fun. What can I say I like grease and taking things apart Smile
Bretto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the front end and thats the end of the shaft. That end is the smaller end, that is why you have to drive it to the rear.
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah reading the article you suggested suggests I did not hit it hard enough, I only used my small ball peen, he says he used a 3lb sledge. The shafts on the transmission came out super easy, they were tight but moved with little force, I was thinking this would be similar. I would have stalled soon anyways, need snapring pliers. The exposed ones I can finesse with a screwdriver or two, the one tucked in though...
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well got that shaft out, it was a pig and a half to move, not sure how you could use a brass drift for it you would end up with a brass disk without moving it a bit. Big ball pean hammer and a soft steel drift, lots of smashing and wd40.
now I need a pair of snap ring pliers, I can see it at least.
Cacti_Ken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if brass drift punch is softer than soft steel, but I use brass punch to drive the shafts out with.
Xamon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is out with no distortion which is the important bit. Went around to get the snap ring pliers, most people look at the snap ring and go " oh you broke it thats a $%#$^" *sigh* broke down and went to the snapon truck. nice pliers though even if they are expensive.
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should invest in a good set of snap ring pliers but I just ground some flats on the outside of a cheap set of needle nose like this. Only bad part of these is the work has to be done with 2 hands to pull the handles apart but it works.
Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: