Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 A1 fenders - How do you restore them?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 A1 fenders - How do you restore them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scrapyard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: M38 A1 fenders - How do you restore them? Reply with quote

Repairing a flatfender fender seems to be easy. Completely new fenders are available as replacement or you can use such a new fender to repair your original fender, by cutting out the part you need.

But what can I do with my early M38 A1 fenders? Every panel on the outside is bend and (in my opinion) beyond repair. Another donor vehicle, also a first batch MD, came with late style fenders – which are also complete beyond repair.

I can´t be the only MD owner with bend fenders. Any tips?

Oliver

ecurb_1160

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say those are battle scars, dress them up a little if you want, but I'm not taking all of them outa mine. I don't want a" trailer queen", I plan to drive mine and it will get more stone chips and battle scars from my enjoyment.A little body puddy,and a little sanding and you can hide some of them, but for me I'm not taking all them out. Just my 2 cents worth!!! Bruce
[img] This is mine now it started out looking like yours.[/img]
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take them to an experienced body man that knows his way arounf metal work, english wheels and etc and get his opinion. What I see in your photos is rough but not beyond repair.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
BBDE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver,
I dont´t think, that your fenders a beyond repair.
Your fender shows the typical damages and repair welting on a former Greek Army Vehicle.
Cut out the bends and dents step by step and weld in new matching sheet metal patches . It will need time, but it is it worth to keep original material. Otherwise when you take a repro fender, you will have some work ( sometimes hard work) to get it in your Jeep.
The fenders of my Ambulance where very similar to yours.
The rest of your Jeep´s sheet metal certainly will held some welding work for you too. So the best way is to "learn to talk with sheet metal".

Here are my fender when I start restoring.

some damage from an accident.

after stripping the filler.

After welding ( the right one) both fenders looking equal.

Welded, sand blasted and primed.

Only a small layer of filler was needed.
Berlin Brigade style turn signals installed.

Frank
Scrapyard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, all experienced body men seem to have emigrated. Otherwise I would not have a problem to invest some money on this Jeep, as the price was reasonable.

Frank, nice photos and great work. But my favourite Clint Eastwood quote is "A man needs to know his limitations". Well, it is also a great excuse. I can do some body work, but as all outside panels are also bend, this is beyond my possiblities.

Bruce, your fender looks good, too. Maybe I will try my luck on my two battered late style fenders and keep the early fenders stored for that experienced body man in the future.

Oliver
BBDE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver,

you can make a pair of early fenders from your late style fenders by removing the reinforcement plates. Under those they look the same way.
But under the fenders reinforcement plates probably some rust, like everywhere dual metal join, will be between.
Not all experts in body work has emigrated. A few left, but they are rare and expensive.
This is one kind of profession that is not longer needed in modern business.
Look to a shop, upperclass oldtimer like MB300SL where worked on.
There you can find some of the old masters of torch and sponge.
And Oliver, some practices in bodywork will move some limitations and time will show you how it goes. Try end error, but try. Thats what I have done.
You will need some practice.

The most vehicles offered "rust free" aren´t rust free.
The Greek Jeeps are not rust free as well.
Rust is everywhere, also the vehicle is painted fresh.
And rust workes most time hidden, between the sheeds.
If you want, I can post more pics from the " face of rust"

Frank
Scrapyard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank , not on guard today? Who is protecting Berlin right now?

I guess I wouldn´t be the only person here who would like to see more of your work, maybe in the new "Jeep Project Threads".

My late style greek fenders are even worse than the two early ones. However it seems to be an option to buy the 400 US Dollar (x 2 plus shipment from the US) reproduction early-CJ5 fenders and then to remove the reinforcements. I would hate to modify orginal late MD fenders this way.

Oliver

P.S. the famous Zinke family in Zwönitz is doing a million Euros restauration for my neighbour, a new museum which will open next year. Civilian cars and motorcyles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: