Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Most Accurate Canvas Top for M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most Accurate Canvas Top for M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Most Accurate Canvas Top for M38 Reply with quote

Ok guys, need some opinions. I have recently finished the restoration of my early 1951 M38. To finish her off, I’m looking for the best quality/most accurate top available (top, sides, doors). I’m about to drop almost a grand on a complete top and I wanted to come to some consensus on who makes the most accurate top out there (if that’s possible).
So from reading most of the most of the previous posts on the forum I find that most guys like what they bought. So the top contenders I see are…

New Life Canvas… http://www.newlifecanvas.com/m38-m38a1.html

Wee Bee Webbing… http://www.odcloth.com/m38.html

Beachwood Canvas…https://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/order/productlist.cfm

Before I place my order with one of these companies I want to know the good and bad. I’ve already spent quite a bit of money on the restoration, and I want to make sure the top has the same fit and finish as the rest of the jeep.

Thanks for the assistance...

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=PaulB&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no experience with the others but i got my top, side curtains and
door skins, also the front and rear seat cushions from Dave and Donna
@ WeeBee and am happy with the quality of workmanship.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very tough question Paul. Perhaps it would serve your needs a bit more if you expanded your question to include both accuracy and quality and price and service.

It will be hard to get an opinion from a single owner who may have installed or used all three manufacturer's tops. So a straight across the board comparison is just about impossible. Most of your replies will be from an owner who installed and has opinions on only one of the tops and those opinions will vary from owner to owner based on their individual perspectives. IE two owners could easily grade the exact same top to be in their opinion one would say a 8 while the other would say a 4 simply because they each see the top through their own eyes.

I would solicit more of an objective answer by asking this question:

Can you folks tell what if any problems you had with your M38 canvas tops purchased from the three listed manufacturers in the areas of fit, accuracy of material/parts, quality, service and pricing.

This way you are asking for raw facts that you can examine and make your determinations from rather then a set of opinions that cannot in reality be graded evenly against each other.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
PaulB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes yes, great distillation of my original question. You are right an owner only knows what he/she bought, and can only describe it as such.

Thanks...

http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=PaulB&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on what Wes said i'll say that i see thru the eyes of a
motor pool-driver. My M-38 will never see the Grand Concourse.
I will also say that if you have a particular question or concern about
what you are ordering you can talk direct to Dave and Donna who are
doing the actual fabricating.
I had posted this earlier-i'm not tryin to sell 'em, just report.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5820&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in a bit here.
I've bought canvas items from WeeBee Webbing and Beachwood canvas, though I don't think I bought from New Life but did look at them. Both of those I bought from have provided satisfactory products - seat cushions and the seat back cargo bag. Both look to have high quality products they stand by. Beachwood is a bit slower and may be a bit pricier but they're well known here on the East Coast.
My jeep came with a Summer top that looks like it's from Beachwood, not the accurate top with the grommets for the side curtains and doors. The top had a wear spot over the rear roof support bar that I had patched with canvas duck I bought from Home Depot - didn't care that it wasn't OD. You can't tell from outside, only inside.
Hopefully this helps in your decision making process. In the end, as others have noted, it depends on your tastes and desires. I like to use my jeep and have not set it up as a showpiece. I like being in the field away from the flagpole so field expedient works for me.
Thanks.
-JJB
C/1/20th SFG (A)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M Series Parts Supply & Service Review All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: