Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Right-Hand Drive Willys MB Photos
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Right-Hand Drive Willys MB Photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pecosjimmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Right-Hand Drive Willys MB Photos Reply with quote

Alright, gang. I finally got some photos posted here, although I THOUGHT they would go to the gallery Ryan so kindly set up for me. Sorry, Ryan! If this is not OK, let me know.

I have never owned a jeep before, but ran across this one in Okinawa, Japan. I own it now; it's currently in the shop getting inspected and approved IAW Japanese law. It is a right-hand drive (RHD) vehicle.

I have done a lot of looking via the internet, trying to learn as much as possible about Willys. I cannot find ANYTHING about RHD Willys. Except for its setup, this vehicle appears to me to meet the MB descriptions. If you know anything about RHD Willys, or have ever heard of anything, please sound off.

If you need better photos or photos of specific areas of the vehicle, I will get them as soon as I get the vehicle out of the shop. I hope to hear from anyone concerning this vehicle.

Thanks, and happy viewing!
James

Galen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamie, awesome pics! I've never seen nor heard anything about right hand drive jeeps . . . seems that given the British/Australian penchant for driving on the wrong side of the road, more of these would have been produced for their use, especially as part of the Lend/Lease act in the early days of the war, before our full involvement in combat.

A couple of things stand out that differ radically from the normal MB . . . the smaller glove box, the hanging pedals (break & clutch), and the tool indents on the right side, while the fuel tank remains on the right, but with a spout & outlet resembling an M38. The question begs to be asked, are you sure this isn't a modified tub?

Keep us updated on this one, very interesting!
Pecosjimmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galen,

Thanks! The only thing I'm sure of is: I ain't sure of nuthin'! I am in Okinawa, and feel like the jeep may be an old Japanese Defense Forces jeep; however, I can't find any online documentation concerning US granting of parts to the Japanese government for building their own vehicles. This is just an idea, though. There is no Japanese writing on the vehicle.

The guy I bought it from spoke zero English, but I found using a computer translator that it came to him from Tokyo with a shipment of civilian jeeps.

It has a Mitsubishi 4-cylinder engine which is strong, although I only got to drive it about 200 yards - straight to the mechanic's shop! It needed a complete brake overhaul, and I drifted the whole way!

Dealing with foreign mechanics is frustrating and getting your vehicle back takes a long time, but I SHOULD have it back sometime this week. Regardless of its origins, it will be a blast to own and drive.

I still hope to hear from anyone who might be able to provide any information.

Thanks,
James
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Intersting photos.

I have not seen a right had drive before either.

Did you have problems uploading your photos to your photo gallery?

If so let me know and can fix it.

neat jeep! Cool
Pecosjimmy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

I would like to post them to the actual gallery; I am not the most computer-literate guy. I thought I had followed your instructions fully, but somehow it didn't work. I'm sure I could use some pointers.

Thanks,
James
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I'll send you a PM.

To check your PM (privat messages) look at the top where it says :

Forum FAQ Search Usergroups Profile Messages ( or no new messages)

click on the messages to get to your in box.

Cool
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of us Limeys or the Aussies having RHD jeeps from the factory. Though in Aus I believe that any commercially used LHD vehicvle must be modified to RHD, this does not apply to privately owned vehicles (I think!)
However, we have had for some years US MIL. Post jeeps turn up that RHD because (I'm told) the posties could pull up at the post box and didn't have to walk round/get out of the jeep. Mil spec postal jeeps maintained a full 4WD system etc. the hanging pedles must be to get the rods and shafts across to the otherside of the jeep where the working bits are.
A CJ2A or maybe 3B was recently sold on UK epay in RHD, it was supposed to be ex Mil postal.
Does this jeep look like a RHD CJ2A/3B if it does I'd bet thats what it is.
hey ho,
Dave.
davem201m38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeap, check out this ebay item No. 4636752384

I think ths is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4636752384&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It looks like the same / similar model to me.
All the best,
Dave
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a 50 or 60's Mitsubushi license built jeep. The Japan Self Defense Force has used Mitsu's for almost 50 years. They are RHD. Also could be Mahindra of India built or even a french M201 type.

When Mitsu first started in 1952 with Willys they imported and asembled 3A's which may have been asembled as right hand drives.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
davem201m38

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It deffinately isn't of French origin, either m201 or JH 101, Hotchkiss did use a CJ2A on some advertising literature in the early 50s but oddly never produced the CJ2A producuing instead a CJ3B type. As far as I know they never ever produced anything in RHD.
We get a lot of mahindra imported into Europe but so far I've never seen a Mahindra MB type flat fender, they are rumoured to exist but I never seen any evidence. And I was told a story by a DVLA inspector that would appear to support mahindra flat fenders existance, but I've never seen one.
Due to the premium on 'MB type' jeeps we also get Mitsu's imported, usually claiming to be something special and exotic, the word 'rare' seems to figure in there adverts quite a bit!! But these are all CJ3B types, often with mil spec add on's that i guess would make them parallel to the M606

I haven't forgot the picture Wes, but the M201 still isn't running, the M38 is still in bits, the Diamond T is hemoraging from the rotor head of it's fuel injector pump, and I have the builders in laying 10,000 bricks etc. And its show season. To get the photo I first need to move the dead M201.
All the best,
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Announcements, News, Humor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: