Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Lengths of Straps For Axe and Shovel On M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lengths of Straps For Axe and Shovel On M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Lengths of Straps For Axe and Shovel On M38A1 Reply with quote

Over the years of my reading posts and making copies of responses I know that this question has been addressed before. But as I near completion of this restoration, I find that I cannot determine which straps and what lengths of straps fit on the various footman loops from the pictures and information I have. The tech manual lists information for M38A1 and M170. More information on the length of straps is there for the M170.

I purchased new straps for the axe, shovel and top bow tie down. Three straps of different lengths came in the package. The one for the axe head is the shortest and seems to make sense but the others do not.

I recall one comment in the past was made that these do not seem to be an exact science and the tie downs are done various ways. The straps I have are not sufficient ( one bow strap) and I will need additional. But I just do not know what to order nor how they install.

What is the best way to approach this? Go to a meet and look how others have done it and then buy the straps? Suggestions appreciated.

Mike
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Review the illustrations in each applicable manual. There is a lot of good views in them that are often overlooked because they are not listed specifically as figures of straps.
Illustrations that help with M38A1 straps in TM 9-8014 are:
2, 12, 14, 175, 184 (Mis-labeled 190 on page 314), 185, 187, 193,
If you look closely at the ORD 9 there are quite a few measurements there.
11 top straps 1" x 21 1/2"
axe strap 1" x 26"
windshield hold down strap 1" x 16"
Gas can strap 1 1/2" x 31"
4 wheel house top stowage straps 1" x 49"
2 wheel house short top bow straps 1" x 22"
This leaves only a couple without lengths indicated and you should be able to get those lengths from Dave at WeeBee.

Review the many photos in our web site albums.

Search the posts here on the web site.

Use my photo album to it's full potential: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Don't forget to check with Dave at WeeBee Webbing

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
madmike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pictures are much better than I printed before and the extra drawing explains a lot. I just could not imagine how these began and wrapped around and thru the loop. I will look for the references in the manuals re: lengths. Thanks as always Wes.

Mike
bluewatersailor

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: STRAPS FOR M38A1 - SHOVEL Reply with quote

Has anyone found out the dimensions for the shovel strap under the hood of a M38A1? RSVP David (and Beppe).
timjuhl

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: shovel strap Reply with quote

From the tip of the buckle to the end, about 13.5 inches. Remember, there is a loop sewn into the strap just behind the buckle to attach it to a footman loop.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: