Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Deland Naval Air Station Museum
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deland Naval Air Station Museum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNASM

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Deland Naval Air Station Museum Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

My name is Tim Horak, and I'm the Vehicle Restoration Chairman.

I need information, knowledge and support for my little Jeep

1953 M38A1 DOD 11/53 ser#64250

I would like to research as much history as I can, and document it.

Here are some of the questions I have concerning the Jeep.

How can I find out which branch of service was it under?

I would like to paint it Haze Gray for the Navy and make it a Shore Patrol
Jeep, or should I paint it Light Blue?

How does the hood number matter if I can not find one, and is it okay to make one up to match the day the jeep is dedicated to the museum offically.

The hood number would look like 205mddy of the dedication day?

I also need support in putting the Jeep back together since the chassis is done but the tub needs some help.

We are trying to REMEBER ALL WHO SERVE!

www.delandnavalairstation.org

If in the area visit us anytime, and donations are always welcome.

Thank you

TIM Smile
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

I am not up on the M38A1 as I am on the M38, but I am sure some others will post too. Here is what I would say to your questions.

Branch of service should be on the maintinance responsible agency data plate on the dash (at least for the M38).

When remvoing paint from the bumper and bumperettes look carefully for unit id markings.

As of right now there is no documentation of what vehicles were in what organization and when. So the markings you find on your jeep are the best clues.

The color you paint it should go with the unit and time period you are wanting to represent.

Lots of us don't have a hood serial number. use the vehicle data base to get the first several numbers and then use the serial number of your jeep for the last numbers of the hood numbers. That is what Wes has been advocating so that hood numbers don't get mixed up down the road.

We are glad to have you on this board!
DNASM

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.

The paint appears to be od green which indicates army, but I have not been able to locate any other numbers.

i want to represent the Navy, and I will hope someone has some mor info
on the jeep.

the more the merrier

THANK YOU! Very Happy

TIM
Ryan_Miller
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes is knows more about the unit military markings of the 60's than I do and he was in the Air Force at that time.

He should be able to shed some light on it.

Very Happy
MikeW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim (the yeoman2?) - I answered most of this on the G but will again here in case anyone else is interested. If you don't have a Navy registration number for your jeep I can give you a range of Navy numbers depending on the DOD, not only for jeeps but other Navy vehicles starting in 1950, for earlier I can give you examples at best. I have been researching Navy registration numbers for over ten years and have a list of numbers 1935-1985. I have yet to see any list on the net that will allow you to figure out any hood number other than an Army one, if you find one let me know. Do yours up NAS Deland and display it at the museum.

If you are doing a Navy jeep in the 60's as was mentioned elsewhere you can go with OD, gray, flightline yellow, and even a dark blue similar to AF blue as I drove a M38 that color. I have seen one or two repaints in a light blue but that would be sort of unusual. For a SP jeep I would go with gray with black markings. similar to the one picture I sent you.
DNASM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank I plan on going SP style, and now that I have a high possiblity to get a mb/m-38 style jeep in true reflection of the museum and the base during world war II. the DOD on my m38a1 is 11/53 ser no. 64250.

So let me know what the navy hood number would be and what would give a hood number for my mb/m38 style for 1942 0r 43.

Thank you for the pics and theinfo

you have a great resource.

TIM
YN3(SW) Horak is my true rank in the navy I wanted YN2 quite bad but never got it.
MikeW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim - I'll see what I can come up with for the A1 number. The WW2 jeep would be a MB or GPW unless you found an earlier one, the M38 was not in WW2 ad it wasn't around then. The Navy Dept. CJV-35/U was made in 1950 only and the M38 came after it.
DNASM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will be waiting for the info the other jeep is a mb, so see what you can find afar hood numbers.

Again thank you
MikeW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on updating my list, gathering all the little pieces of paper with info. Smile So far for the '53 A1 it looks like the number would be about 94-17XXX - 94-21XXX. The WW2 number is much harder to guestimate as there was no real pattern that I have found for the WW2-1949 vehicles, although some were in groups assigned a batch of numbers by the Navy when ordered most seem to have a very haphazard assignment. For 42-43 there were some with 5 digit numbers and some with 6 digit numbers so I'd go with either USN or US Navy followed by the number 75XXX-180XXXX.
DNASM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you again i will use 94-21xxx on the a1 and
i will probably go with usn and NAS Deland on the other jeep. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: