Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Where can I get
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I get
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Where can I get Reply with quote

The correct USMC stencils for my M38A1? I plenty of "US Army" ones, and Beachwood Canvas has the yellow paint, but I need the actual stencils. I would help too if I know which specific ones to get.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.militarystencils.com
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shot them an email yesterday and haven't heard back yet. They don't have the USMC stencils on the site.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't show them but if you go to the M38a1 set, there is a drop down that lets you choose USMC for the service branch.

http://www.militarystencils.com/M38A1-JEEP-SET-P242C9.aspx
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to him on the phone today. He can do it, no problem, I just need to know what hood number I want to go with. I have no idea what to use. The patent plate on my vehicle says the serial number is "MD 17386" The data plate on my dash says MFR. SER. No 17386 Dat Del 9/52 Ord Stock No G-2758-6800361. On one of my bumberetts it has HQ3 in white letters, and on the sides of my hoods it has TP25.
www.danhenk.com
evanso1975

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just need to know what hood number I want to go with. I have no idea what to use.

A check through previous postings (and Google!) suggests that usmc jeeps used a 5 or 6-digit number. Here's an example from 1960:

http://i.imgur.com/SBKFR.jpg

On that basis, maybe a suitable number for your jeep (incorporating your serial number) could be:

USMC 217386

Just my thoughts......

1951 US Air Force M38
1944 F-1 1/2-ton Airdrome Trailer
1940 C15 Chevrolet CMP 11-cab
1939 DKW KS200 Motorcycle
MVT # 19406
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the "2" before the serial number?
Do you know what other stencils were on it?Like on the front bumper and rear bumperetts? I've seen a "cation" one near the gas fill neck, and a "max speed" on the dash, but I have no idea if those are correct
www.danhenk.com
Powermwt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be able to help you with the number without sticking my foot in my mouth. Laughing

Your A1 is early and there are no known contracts for a Marine Corps Green A1 at that time that I know of.

So, you need to pick a number that goes with the time period you wish to be in.

Here are some examples:

This one passed thru Lloyd White's hands some time ago... he said it is a contract jeep with original markings

Another:

Both the above are from this thread that may be of some help.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=165751

The number range may be found on this thread. http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=78894

Look in the post war group towards the bottom and you will see M38A1 numbers starting at 124214, one at 190356 and others at 311380 and up.

There are lots of examples if you do a search...

This photo was taken in Korea abt 1953. The Jeep is a communications Jeep at the K-2 airbase for the First Marine Air Wing.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/493147__ARCHIVED_THREAD____My_1952_M38A1_Jeep_Restoration___UPDATE__7_13_08___New_Pict___page_9_.html&page=2
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last jeep could almost be the one I have. I have a 1952 M38A1. I have been told it was most likely a radio jeep, it has a higher output generator than normal. That is a 1953 USMC radio jeep. I undercoated my jeep and installed a locker in the rear-thinking I would go as original as possible (with a few minor, easily alterable upgrades like an overdrive and 11" drums) and I know that was something the marines did. So I want an early USMC number, but I don't think I should just pick on out of a hat at random, should I? I would like to know what else besides the hood was marked as well-like the bumperettes, maybe the inside dash, and so on.
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when the Army was the primary procurement agency for wheeled tactical vehicles from 1948 through 54 the Marines still made sure their stuff was marked Marines. The responsible agency plate on a Marine corp M38A1 built from 52 thru 54 would have an entry on the procurement side of Ordnance (meaning Army Ordnance and on the depot side of USMC meaning a Marine maintained vehicle.

The suggested hood number was a combination of the approximate beginning digit for that time period and the serial number of your jeep. This way researchers trying to build accurate data bases don't have to foul up their research with numbers that folks pull out of their arse since they will easily recognize your effort to use your serial in your hood number.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Wes, maybe I should put a "1" before the hood number? I have read that the marines undercoated the frame, underbody, wheel wells, and the inside of the hood. is this correct?
www.danhenk.com
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

The earliest USMC hood number in the M38A1 data base is 198330 on MD28653.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
bluewatersailor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: M38A1 USMC MARKINGS Reply with quote

Guys, forgive me for jumping in here, but the thread is almost identical to my situation. My Del Date is 10/52; serial number from Dash Plate and Patent Plate are MD26784; and Responsible Agency for Depot Maintenance is MARINE CORPS. This jeep somehow found its way into the US ARMY inventory with hood N. 2B6426, but I am inclined to put it back to its original USMC paint and markings. Can we agree that the Hood Number should be "USMC 126784" ? Also, any other info about this vehicle would be appreciated. Thanks, David
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that would be an appropriate number.

Powermwt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you all looked at the most likely locations on your hood, body and bumperettes to see if the original USMC numbers are there, or are we taking this from Army to USMC?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: