Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Retrieving the cuno
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retrieving the cuno

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Retrieving the cuno Reply with quote

Someone gave me this and I wanted to rescue damaged filter by placing a conventional filter inside your body.

I found this reusable anywhere bike, but first I tried the similar paper.

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it should work. Post the part numbers of the two filters. Also what make model machine they were used on.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
G740

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Filters Reply with quote

Hi,
You guys should realize that the only reason that the manufacturers went away from Cuno filters, or any oil bath air cleaner is so that you have to spend more MONEY. The cuno is every bit or better than the cartridge that you decided to spend money on replacing every oil change. The manufacturers were planning on obsolescence to get the general public to spend money on replacement parts.
John
JAM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the model but is Yamaha motorcycle
He added that it is necessary to remove the non-return valve
JAM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filtering effectiveness is far superior to the existing filters that have cuno
Sandwiched between the circular sheets, smaller sheets of 0.1 mm thick, which act as spacers between the first, therefore, the separation of the edges of the disc pack, is exactly 0.1 mm and ...... porosity of modern offered in microns
DanS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "remove the non return valve"? I think this is a good idea, but, I think it would be a pain the *** to change the filter.

Dan
GPW 14944 dod 4/10/42
K38 Linemans Trailer 4/43
M100 Trailer 01177488 dod 8/51
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you mean by "remove the non return valve"?

The spring loaded check valve in the replaceable filter element must be removed to allow the bolt through to mount the filter element.

Normal CUNO service is:
1-Turn handle once daily.
2-Drain housing every 1,000 miles.
3-Every 6,000 miles or twice a year drain housing, remove strainer assembly and clean.

If you follow the 6,000 mile schedule it really isn't any more difficult to change a replaceable element than it is to clean the strainer plate assembly.

Both John and JAM make good points here. I have to say that if your jeep is a daily driver accumalating many miles a year then the replaceable element has merit. If it's a show or parade jeep and used very little then the CUNO is fine and you follow the once or twice a year service.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
JAM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanS wrote:
What do you mean by "remove the non return valve"? I think this is a good idea, but, I think it would be a pain the *** to change the filter.

Dan

Dan, I also think it is very laborious to change the filter, because you have to disassemble the unit completely, though initially my idea is not to change a new cuno them but to use one unusable.
JAM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Filters Reply with quote

G740 wrote:
Hi,
You guys should realize that the only reason that the manufacturers went away from Cuno filters, or any oil bath air cleaner is so that you have to spend more MONEY. The cuno is every bit or better than the cartridge that you decided to spend money on replacing every oil change. The manufacturers were planning on obsolescence to get the general public to spend money on replacement parts.
John

If you believe that spending money is significant, there is the option of using the I showed above, which is stainless steel, and is washable.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dan, I also think it is very laborious to change the filter, because you have to disassemble the unit completely,

If the stock Cuno is maintained properly the same amount of labor is expended cleaning the Cuno plate disc set as changing or cleaning an element would take. Both require dis-assembly of the Cuno housing.

SteveJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CUNO is great. Follow the instructions and clean as required. Ive had my M38 for 20 years Used to run it year round but now it has the good life and I only run it from April to November, Same engine no glitches and no problems Very Happy
1991 Reynolds Boughton RB44 GS TUH
1952 M38 CDN W/W (Sold)
1953 M100 CDN Trailer
1951 PE95K Genset (Sold)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: