Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Dana 27 U Joint Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 27 U Joint Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadler5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Dana 27 U Joint Question Reply with quote

I pulled my left front axle out and found a ujoint that looked like the cross that is used in an open knuckle or on the drive shaft. I have read here about the different joints that are possible and see where I can get a replacement for it. I don't want to go to the expense of replacing the entire axle as I only need to replace the u joint. This closed knuckle was full of grease which I question if it had a cross ujoint I really don't see how it can get greased as I expect the replacement to be sealed with a zerk. My questions are how would one grease it after it is installed as access is only through the plug and would it need greased at all if it is sealed?

Its like the one on this url.

[/url]http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Omix/U_Joint/O321652501.html[url]

Thanks,
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've read up on front axles then you know about Bendix, Spicer and Rzeppa joints. What you have is a Spicer type. Jeep Bendix and Rzeppa joints are lubed by filling the knuckle cavity with grease. Yes, this seems a poor way to grease the joints as rotational forces tend to sling grease out of the joint but that is why the lubrication charts call for routine disassembly and hand greasing. If your Spicer joint has zerks, then you need to grease via the zerks. Access is via taking the front knuckle apart. If there are zerks the joint is really not "sealed" - a sealed bearing would have no access to re-grease.
Sadler5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. By sealed I meant that it would do me no good to fill the unit with grease since the only way it would get grease is through the zerk. The rubber seals on the bearings would keep that grease in and any grease externally out. Is that correct? Is the only purpose of the grease in the knuckle support chamber to grease the u-joint? If so should I leave it dry?
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bearings in the "cross" won't be lubed by the grease in the knuckle housing but the drive shafts ride on bronze bushings and the knuckle housing ball itself needs to be greased so it turns smoothly within the knuckle seals. Currently, I'm using No. 0 John Deere corn head grease in my M38 and M38A1 knuckles (Bendix joints) - its a softer grease that tends to flow more than No. 2.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spicer cardon type joint appears in IPL's arounf the mid 50's. It is in my CJ3B parts catalog.

909459 - Kit, shafts & universal joint left
909460 - Kit, shafts & universal joint right

These are the 3 piece assemblies.

909476 - Kit, universal joint, front axle (Includes 4 bearing caps with roller, a cross & 4 snap rings.

I see these listed at:
http://walcks4wd.com/repair-kit-ujoint-front-axle.html
http://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/willys-jeep-driveshaft-joints-yokes-parts-accessories

This is interesting also:
http://www.quad4x4.com/qu40507.html Their kit is $48

Quote:
QU40507M Small Axle Universal Joint for Vintage Dana Spicer Closed Knuckle Front Axles is a genuine original equipment axle manufacturer, solid-cross, non-greaseable, front axle u-joint without seals for 1940s to 1975 Chevy, Dodge, Ford, GMC, IHC, and Jeep 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton light duty 4x4s with standard Dana 44 closed knuckle front drive axles. Also fits Ford Bronco, IHC Scout, and Jeep CJ 4x4 SUVs with Dana 25, Dana 27 and Dana 30 closed knuckle front axles. Made in U.S.A.
See Applications, Shopping Cart & Related Main Page Links Further Down This Page
Use Your Browser Back Arrow to Return to Previous Page

Dan the Gear Man® Tech Note 1:
QU40507M fits Dana Spicer closed knuckle front axles shafts with an inside span between the yoke ears of 2-3/16". The cup diameter is 1-1/16". There are no seals on the cups as these axle u-joints are designed to be bathed in a semi-liquid Closed Knuckle Lubricant inside the enclosed steering knuckle.

Dan the Gear Man Tech® Note 2:
By today's standards, QU40507 u-joints are undersized for Jeep size SUVs and considerably undersized for full size truck models. Since vintage vehicles that used these joints were generally lighter in weight, built with much less powerful engines, and with less transfer case low range gear reduction compared to current models, the joint size is probably at least barely adequate for most stock uses. The QU40507M solid cross gives a little extra strength, but if you are planning on putting a high torque engine and/or an extra low range transfer case in your old 4x4, the chances of having an axle shaft or u-joint break under load will be much higher than a stock vehicle.

Please note that these are not sealed U joints and have no zerk so you must hand pack them on assembly and keep a soft fluid type knuckle lube in the knuckle.

Here are a few additional cross reference numbers and the NSN (FSN updated):

Quote:
2520-00-646-7058 Manufacturer
MFG SKU CAGE MANUFACTURER TYPE STATUS ROLE
909455 34623 AM General LLC
A A
909476 34623 AM General LLC
A A
2520006467058 SCY13 E.C.A Etablissement Central DES
E A
11574 93006 Motive Industries Inc.
A F
11574 83778 Motive Parts Co. of America Inc.
A A
909476 22852 Spalla Inc.
A F

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Sadler5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always thanks for the information and the quick response.
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: