Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Low Compression across the board - Manifold Vacuum Test?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Low Compression across the board - Manifold Vacuum Test?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverback2w2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Low Compression across the board - Manifold Vacuum Test? Reply with quote

Quick question before I go buy leakdown tester.

How accurate is the Manifold Vacuum Test on Pg 103 of 9-8014?

My compression stinks. 1 = 80, 2 = 90, 3 = 70, 4 = 75.

THe book says to re-torque the head bolts and try again, which I'll do then re-test.

Hopefully the compression comes up.

All valves have been properly adjusted.

Here's whats going on. Engine sounds like it's missing and is putting out real rich smelling exhaust with a little white smoke. Timing light says it's right on. Engine fires right up but runs rough. Fuel pressure is good. All vacuum lines are present.

1955 M38A1 - Clock says 58K miles, but who knows what it really is.
BullRun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience and not saying it applies here... these engines will continue to run even though they are technically worn out.

The upside to this is if you decide to rebuild this engine there are fewer questions to ask about its condition and they are fairly simple and cheap to rebuild.

The white smoke sounds like some kind of water leak... Is the engine oil cloudy? That would indicate water getting into the oil. And conversely is there oil in the water?
Silverback2w2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the oil in the spark plug hole trick.

Got 1=95, 2=110, 3=80, 4=100

Last edited by Silverback2w2 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
artificer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has your engine been dusted [run with no air cleaner]? This is indicated by the compression wet test....provided the initial test was done correctly.
Vacuum gauge readings are a very good indicator of engine condition.
See here what rings going out is indicated by http://automotivecars-info.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/engine-vacuum-test.html
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
BullRun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M38A1 that I have that is in similar sounding condition also blows oil. If you put a piece of white paper near the exhaust pipe droplets of very fine black oil will splatter over it. My jeep engine is probably clogged with carbon build up too. Just something to check for as it is hard to tell. Not saying your engine is worn out. This is just my experience when there is low compression on one of these engines.

On my jeep it will run but has no power anymore for hills and runs erratically so I ended up parking it to not damage the engine.

On my engine the valves definitely need redone and probably the rings. The crank seems to be OK. However I hope to do a full rebuild eventually. A local machine shop will do the machining for about $650 to $850 and with all the other parts it totals about $1750 is the quote I got. All I have to do is assemble it. Turn around time is about 4 to 6 weeks.

As Wes has pointed out if the engine is painted red or blue it has been rebuilt. There might be a rebuild tag somewhere on the block that will list the current piston sizes and or how much the crank has been ground down.

A tip my machinist gave me is that the more thermal cycling that has occurred the smoother the engine will run when rebuilt as the metal is more stabile. So old engines do have a few advantages.
Xamon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did set it to 10BTC and not the 5 of the manual, Wes has said many times if I am remembering right that it runs better on modern gas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: