Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - how to get stop leak out of radiator?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to get stop leak out of radiator?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dauntless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: how to get stop leak out of radiator? Reply with quote

Been all over the net looking for a way to get this stuff out. From what I've found it looks like a 50 /50 mixture of muriatic acid and water and let set for 30 min. hate to do this to a 65 year old radiator. I got it out of Jeep setting full of vinegar now. Any other idea's on how to get this crap out.?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to only have to do each job on any restoration one time. With that in mind take it to a good ole fashion radiator shop (one familiar with metal radiators) and have it boiled out and pressure/leak checked.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
dauntless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: radiator Reply with quote

Guess I should have added that I did take it to a shop.He didn't want to boil it out for he thought due to the age it may fall apart. Also he didn't want to take the top tank off to rod it out. I think he just wanted to sell me a new core. Not many rad shops around here. So that is why I need to know some home flush remedies that won't eat it up.
artificer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=139530&hilit=how+to+rebuild+radiators
Lew Ladwig is no expert as he admitted @ the time he offered a complete radiator re-build/repair guide that was excellent.
YOU CAN'T TROUBLESHOOT WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew writes a very good repair but then Lew is a very talented technician. Either a quality rebuild shop or using Lew's repair sequence if you possess similar skill sets are the best answer. The well maintained radiator and water pump are essential to good engine health. Serious over heating can result in serious and expensive engine repairs.

If we assume your selected radiator shop owner was an honest man and he made an honest evaluation of the radiator then the best course of action is to overhaul the radiator unless during the overhaul it is determined the radiator is beyond economical repair.

On the other hand if you truly believe his appraisal of your radiator was an attempt at deception and dishonest then get a second opinion. A radiator shop owner that tolerates the regulatory system that makes operating caustic solution cleaning systems in the commercial market wouldn't go through that legal pain if he didn't normally utilize that equipment.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: RADIATOR Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
I prefer to only have to do each job on any restoration one time. With that in mind take it to a good ole fashion radiator shop (one familiar with metal radiators) and have it boiled out and pressure/leak checked.

I JUST DROPPED ONE OF THIS AFTERNOON WITH THE SAME CRAP IN IT AT THE MOM & POP RAD SHOP..MAN TOLD ME $ 45.00 TO BOIL IT OUT AND RE-PRESSURE CHECK EVERYTHING ..THEN I CAN HAVE IT BACK AND REPAINT IT...... Wink
Powermwt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dauntless, you still have a few options.

It would be helpful if we had a couple of photos to confirm that you have the correct radiator and shroud... and approximately where you are located where others here could help in locating a shop for you.

There is also the option of sending it elsewhere to be serviced if there is no shop around to work on your radiator...

I'm assuming you know if it was leaking before the Stop Leak was used?
dauntless

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: radiator Reply with quote

It's a 4 core M-38 radiator. Got low on funds and the Jeep was on the back burner, so I put stop leak in it. I've owned this Jeep for 35 years. So I did the proper maintenance on the radiator over the years, otherwise it wouldn't have lasted me this long. Thanks for all the reply's and to Wesk posting the article on the radiator rebuild.
Hammerun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Watch out Reply with quote

Radiator shops like these old ones. Enormous scrap value and sticking you for a recore. I learned this the hard way and didn't even get a kiss.$400 bucks worth. The first guy that looked at it assured me that it could be boiled out until after I was gone the owner got a hold of it telling me that it needed to be record. Never again!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: