Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Fuel capacity - M38A1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel capacity - M38A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamtehcrispy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Fuel capacity - M38A1 Reply with quote

Short question, what is the fuel capacity in the tank on an M38A1?

I've got a mixed up '52 M38A1 that I have been driving for a couple months now. The thing has been converted and swapped over in a bunch of places. My fuel tank, for instance, only holds 12 gallons. I just had the thing out and cleaned up to remove all the rust and dirt that was sitting in the bottom of the tank. I have read the data plate, the manual I have, and the operator manual from the downloads section. Everything agrees that it should be 17 gallons.

My problem with this, though, is that I can't see where another 5 gallons would squeeze under that seat. Does the listed capacity include 5 gallons in a jerry can on the back?

Imagine my displeasure when I figured I got to about 12 gallons used one day and said "Oh, I have another 5 gallons to go". Oh course, my fuel gauge doesn't work and I was surprised on the side of the road. On the plus side, I have a nicely cleaned tank now.

Thanks,
Andrew
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. Maybe all the way to the top it will hold 12. I usually fill mine back up when I have about 1 to 2" left in the tank. Fill it up to about half way up the neck. Usually takes about 8 or 9 gal. My tank is an Omix repop.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MODIFIED

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, I doubt one might consider the interpretation of 5 residual gallons residing in the fuel system itself, i.e; fuel bowl, fuel pump and lines.

Perhaps consider the vehicles 5 gallon jerry can capacity were issued to all vehicles and hence included in the tabulated data.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock M38A1 gas tank is 17 1/2 gallon capacity. You mentioned squeezing under the seat. Do you actually have a CJ5 tank that lays on the flat civvy floor with a capacity of 10 gallons? The correct M38A1 tank fits into an extra deep well that extends way below the floor.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
iamtehcrispy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it isn't flat bottomed. I definitely have that well in the floor and the tank fits into it. Given the amount of other hack jobs on this thing, I probably have some home fabrication tank sitting in there. My tech advisers (read: "father-in-law and his brother") tell me something is odd about the tank, but can't quite figure out what it is. They are going to take a look at a couple others and see if they can spot the difference.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you have lifted the tank from the well and confirmed there is an extension of the tank in the well? Or are there 4 blocks of wood hidden under a few years worth of grit and grime in the well supporting the flat tank?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
iamtehcrispy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I just ran out an measured the tank. I knew I had the well, since I had the tank out for cleaning. But, the measurements show pretty much what you have in the diagram. Then, because I'm not the trusting sort, I did the math. Given my exaggerated rounding, that tank in the diagram and the one I measured in my jeep should both be about 17 gallons.

I am now completely confused. It's also going to stay that way until I work up the enthusiasm to drain the tank and pay more attention. Last time, I splashed some gas from a five gallon can into it, left the can at least half full (I didn't see how much was in it to start), and filled up at the gas station for 11.25 gallons.

Oh well. At least I proved my jerry can is good this weekend. I'll have a five gallon reserve for next time. Next on the hitlist is probably cleaning up the mess of wiring from somebody converting it to 12V. They cut off all my number tabs from the military harness.
RICKG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An incorrect civvy CJ5 fuel pick-up will deny access to the extra fuel in the lower well-just a thought.
cabinfever

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, I ran out of gas in my M38A1. It was a bit embarrasing as I told my wife before we took off that we had plenty of petrol in the tank. (My fuel gauge does NOT work). I really thought we had enough. I filled the tank on Memorial Day and have driven less than 100 miles.

At any rate, I added exactly 5 gallons of fuel from a gas can. Then drove the 5 miles to town and filled the rest of the tank. The tank took an additional 7 gallons, for a total of 12 gallons. I fill my fuel tank to the top of the neck on the inside. There is still headspace above this fill point, whether its an additional 5 gallons, I'm not sure. But I always stop filling at the inside top of the neck - as the warning says, "Don not overfill, leave room for expansion."
Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: