Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - I need new Ring and Pinion gears
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need new Ring and Pinion gears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: I need new Ring and Pinion gears Reply with quote

For my Dana 44 rear with a 5:38 ratio. I also need them for my Dana 25 front. I'm looking, and I see everything from Ron Fitzpatrick who has them for $200 https://www.vintagejeeps.com/pc-799-155-ring-and-pinion-dana-4441-rear-802568.aspx to to Willy's Jeep Parts, which has them for $549, or Kaiser Willy's that has them for $399. Any advice on who to go with?
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all the sudden do you need these now?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on who has what.

Axle assy used vs axle assy rebuilt, vs axle assy new. You haven't told us which has which. If all three fit into only one of these categories then by all means use the cheapest.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sergio, my friend who works on differentials for a living, had the rear apart for the locker and pointed out that the gears were real iffy. I would assume that the axles have never been touched and are 60 years old. To the best of my knowledge, all the vendors that have the rear gears I need have them new. I was just wondering if there was a brand I should look for, or a company I should avoid.
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iffy wouldn't justify me dropping $1k+ into diffs. If it were me and they were put back in and set properly and make no noises, I'd run them. No sense in tossing money at a non issue.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the new gears are Spicer as they should be then it's still a no brainer. If any are offshore aftermarket avoid them.

I agree with Bretto. You can still find the majority of the pumpkin parts available surplus NOS in seal bags.

My bad. Jimm is right.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited by wesk on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan was pretty specific that he was asking about a ring and pinion set, not a whole differential. I put replacing worn gears in the "repair" category. The lower cost parts from the vendors he lists are probably going to be OMIX-ADA, not Spicer. I agree with Wes on which one of those brands to go with. I got lucky and scored a brand new Dana 25 Spicer set on Ebay for $75.

"Iffy" is a pretty broad and vague term that we can't evaluate here, not that Dan was asking us to. My rear gears were great, my fronts were toast, "iffy" would be somewhere in between and I would have been faced with having to make a decision of whether to replace them or not. How bad are they? How many more miles do you want to put on the vehicle? How deep are your pockets? etc., etc.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron F has come into a lot of M38/M38A1 surplus the last two years. I would call and ask him the manufacturer of the ring & pinion set he is selling before I discounted it as repop because it's priced the lowest.

Deadguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called and Ron has them for a Dana 25 front, not a Dana 44 rear. I got some good takeouts on the rear Dana 44 from John at Midwest Military. I did alot of checking, and almost all the others are Omix Ada
www.danhenk.com
Bretto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/nos-dana-25-differential-assemblies_topic32700.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: