Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - FRONT BLACKOUT LIGHT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FRONT BLACKOUT LIGHT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kilroy583

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: FRONT BLACKOUT LIGHT Reply with quote

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF IT IS POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE FRONT BLACKOUT LIGHT TO A SERVICE/TURN INDICATOR OR JUST A TURN INDICATOR? I ADDED THE EXTRA WIRES BUT I ONLY HAVE ONE WIRE FROM THE ORIGINAL BLACKOUT LIGHT. IT IS EASY TO FIND THE REPLACEMENT LENSE BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND INTERNAL PARTS.

THANK YOU FOR ANY INPUT
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything is possible but it would be a custom job. I assume you are you talking about the grill markers. I did it it to mine but you'll have to replace the guts with a 2 conductor socket if you want dual function. I just got them at the local autoparts shop. If you are still setup with 24v, it might be hard to find dual filament bulbs. If you dig thru my photopage link, you can see how I did it.
Brett
timjuhl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: turn signal Reply with quote

I replaced the innards with a unit modified from a back up light socket http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/bwd-back-up-lamp-socket-pt14/22070016-P?searchTerm=tail+lamp+socket#

I bent the ears over and drilled them to allow the unit to be mounted inside the base of the blackout lamp.

For the lens, I simply removed the blackout mask (leaving a clear lens) and used an amber bulb. I now have both turn signals and running lights.

Tim
kilroy583

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Tim and Brett! I had some ideas but not like yours which I like better, great pics. I now have a plan and the info I needed.
by the way nice jeep.

Chris
kilroy583

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if anyone is wondering how to do this without loosing your front blackout lights and keeping the 24v system take a look at the pictures I posted in the photo gallery section. I did not want to trash my blackout lights. Bought a (Bay 15D socket,1157 lamp dual element 24 volt military lamp and a flat amber replacement lens for a car) on e-bay. I had purchased two extra blackout lights for this project.

I cut two flat sections out of the amber lens that fit into the blackout light cover.The lens I purchased had enough flat area to cut out two pieces.
I removed the existing military lamp socket drilled out the mounting bracket a little larger and soldered the new (Bay15D) socket in place. All the original interior parts were used except for the socket. There are multiple ways to do this. This is just how mine was done.

Then I soldered the new military spec wires to the wires of the new socket used heat shrink tubing on the splice. Drilled out the rubber grommet a little so the two wires would fit and exit out the back of the blackout light. you can see the order in which I assembled the parts. the clear lens was used to help keep the amber lens in place.
next I fabricated a bracket so I could mount this light under my fender out of view but visible when energized in the turn signal mode or service/running light mode. the bracket was bolted to the fender using the existing center bolt which bolts the fender to the grill. The tire will not hit the blackout light while turning or flexing up when bumps in the road are encountered.
I hope this helped some of you or at least helped with some ideas of you own. Pictures are in my photo gallery.

Chris
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very good. One correction the bulb would have been the 28 V 1662 not the 12V 1157..

#1662 Miniature Bulb Bay15d Base 28VDC Candle Power 6 low & 32 high.

From a safety and visibility standpoint I believe the M151 lens would have been a better choice.

Saturn sells the lens kit for $8.50.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
kilroy583

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
Do you have a web page address for Saturn?
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.saturnsurplus.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: