Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Gearbox installation with or without transfer case on an M38
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gearbox installation with or without transfer case on an M38

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Herrmann_Sherman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Gearbox installation with or without transfer case on an M38 Reply with quote

I´ve removed my T90 transmission (complete). It was not as easy as I thought and I had a lot of work with it. Now I´m thinking about (after cleaning etc.) reassemble. Is it much more easier to assemble at first the gearbox and in an extra step the transfer case with handbrake or should I assemble both together?
Need your opinon, meanwhile I have a pulley...is it necessary to remove all of the covering (metal sheet) in the Jeep? Please note that I don´t have any assistants Confused
Regards
HS
hillbilly21

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: TRANNY Reply with quote

PERSONAL PREFERENCE ON MY END IS DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME..
REMOVE ALL FLOOR PANS MAKES ALOT MORE ROOM ...GOOD LUCK
BBDE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install both together.
It will be very tricky to install the transfer after the gearbox is installed .
It is much more easier to install the gasket in between, when you do this outside the vehicle.
Note, the transfer will become also a heavy after some time of handling when you laying under your vehicle. To place the screws and the gasket in this situation is not so easy.

And yes, you have to remove the "covering"

Frank
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference has been to remove the engine, trans and all accessories as a unit. The M38 and M38A1 was designed for the power plant to be pulled all together, all accessories and the radiator included. All you need is a engine hoist. Then you can work on components at bench top height, disassemble and assemble as needed and then reinstall the entire power plant as a unit. Yes, you have to pull the floor panels but that isn't that big a job, just takes a little time. Pulling the power unit takes about an hour for one person. Putting it back takes a little little longer but very little of the work is crawling around under the jeep.
45auto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pulling and installing as a unit, however, I have installed and pulled just the transfer in a CJ2A, 3A ect. I used two 4 inch long 3/8, grade 8 bolts with the heads cut off and with the ends rounded, installed in the top bolt hole locations in the transmission. If you are taking the transfer out, you have control of it as you slide it of the modified bolts and when re-installing, you can have the gasket installed, line up the transfer on the two bolts and slide the transfer back on. Complete installation from there. Since your M38 has removable floor pans, remove them and take advantage of the room and space it gives you. With this method, I found it easier to handle, line up and install the transmission and then install the transfer.

Do note, I am assuming you have the knowledge of what all needs to be taken off, proper handling of a heavy transmission and transfer and you have proper transmission jacks for your use. If not, buy or rent the proper equipment and/or get someone to help you!! While not all that "heavy" outside the jeep, they are very heavy when you are under them!! Think ahead--and be safe!!
MVPA #6833
1945 GPW
1950 CJV-35/U
1951 M38 1952 M38
1962 USMC Contract M38A1
1953 Strick M100 1967 Johnson M416
1968 CJ5 4-Speed 1969 CJ5 V6
Herrmann_Sherman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your ideas.

I´ve taken both of them out and used myself as a Jack...I was under the transfers and was lifting with my arms to get it out Embarassed

My idea is now to remove the covering for more space and to use the pulley for to bring BOTH on the right place...I will put them together bevore installing (Gearbox and transfer like Frank said )
Wink
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have the weight attached to your hoist (pulley) it becomes a much easier job under the jeep.

I hope you performed a thorough inspection of the transfer case while it was removed and repaired any issues already? Key areas are the shifter stalks and the output drive flanges. If the shifters are sloppy (loose) and if there is any evidence of gear oil leaks at the drive flanges this is the time to fix them.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Herrmann_Sherman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question is:
Is it easy to remove the shift levers and replace them after the transmission is back on place? This would help me a lot... Surprised
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the three floor panels removed it is easy.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related question.

My M38 has a weird looking, off white, flat top shifter knob.

The transfer case knobs are round and black.
They unscrew pretty easily. The other one does not.

Is it safe to assume the shifter knob is threaded on as well?

If so, I'll "work" on it some more.

Tks,
Brian
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Some shifter knobs are press on. Depends on what the tranny came out of.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: