Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Tacoma M38A1 Project
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tacoma M38A1 Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Tacoma M38A1 Project Reply with quote

I've recently acquired my project jeep. It spent more than 30 years being operated as an orchard vehicle in eastern Washington (for a short time by me when I was a much younger man). The past 8 - 10 years, it just sat outside. Pretty beat up but mostly there. Somewhere along the line it had been converted to 12 volt. 15 inch wheels, a lever lock and electric fuel pump have been added.

The bad: A very dirty fuel tank with pinhole leaks; butterscotch pudding in the trans and transfer; inoperable brakes; non-existent e-brake; broken glass in passenger side pane; smashed lens in original speedo; missing speedo cable; broken original ammeter gauge; head pipe was replaced with a flex pipe; floor under fuel tank rotted out; certain other rust points behind support bows; various oil leaks from engine rear seal, trans rear seal, etc..

The good: The hurricane engine starts and idles (possible original); still has original pintle hitch; wheels still air tight; hood good.

The plan? Get it titled; get it safely streetable; stop the rust; leave the patina (for now); drive it to geezer coffee.

Photos in my member album;
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album441&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Bretto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

Looks like you got yourself some work to do. Is that OD paint I see in the tub? I wonder if you might be able to recover the hood numbers.

"Butterscotch pudding". Are you implying there is water/rust/oil mix in the boxes? That could mean they might be up for a rebuild if thing are too far gone.

I'm curious of what's going on with the yellow CJ the background. The dash and windshield look a bit unusual.

Brett
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a 60's vintage CJ5 with the parts of it's hardtop piled in it and no windshield. That odd yellow flat thing with two small rectangular windows I do not believe it to be a windshield.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RICKG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tacoma M38A1 Project Reply with quote

SteveS wrote:

drive it to geezer coffee.

Laughing Welcome to the group! Sounds like you'll fit right in with this outfit!
SteveS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, lots of work.
Yes, that's OD paint in the tub. Also under dash, under that black paint on the windshield and elsewhere.
The yellow jeep does appear to be a CJ. The windshield and other pieces is for some other orchard vehicle. There are other parts missing but it does have the hurricane engine; condition unknown.

Thanks all for your comments.
SteveS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Progress on the m38a1 from Tacoma Reply with quote

Some progress.
Drained the butterscotch pudding from the transmission and filled it with ATF.
Drained the almost "drinkable" water from the transfer case and filled it with ATF.
What's the best way to visually check the transfer case internals for rust without removing the unit?

Brake master cylinder is not good. piston appears to be frozen in the innermost position. I'll be removing it soon to take a good look at it and researching the rebuild or replace opportunities.

Oh, yes! Found a rebuild tag on the engine block indicating a rebuild in 1966. And one on the transmission indicating a rebuild in 1963.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why you are running ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) in antique gear boxes designed for use with 90 WT Gear Oil?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
SteveS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not running it with ATF.

ATF to displace water and treat metal. Left it in for 4 days then let drain for 2 days, then filled with good old 90 WT gear oil..

It won't be drivable until I visually inspect the transfer case innards and fix the brakes.
SteveS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed my fenders are not an exact mirror of left and right. The right fender has what appears to be an extra sheet of metal on the rear joint. I looked at other member photos and see consistency from side to side. The logical assumption is that one is a replacement. I seem to recall reading somewhere about early and late designs. I'll have to find that reference.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of information buried here on our web site pages. Don't hesitate to research your questions on our Downloads Page and in the photo albums. Especially my album. Which is #2 on the first page. 100's of technical photos.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

For example once you open my album go to the 4th sub-album: M38A1, M170, M38A1 CDN Survey guide. There you will find these two photos:

More than 60% of your questions can be answered by just using the resources we have here.

SteveS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Wes. I remember those pics. Mine has an early fender on the left and a late fender on the right. Replacement of one side or the other, probably.

Question: In your photo of the "Early" fender, I see what looks like an electrical connection in the "dog dish". What is that for?

SteveS

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Title found. It's a 1952! Reply with quote

Yay! Now I know the year (1952) and, with a little luck, having the title will save me some hassle when I apply for the new title.

I still don't know the original chassis number because it has a WA DOL retag riveted over the location on the frame rail.

All other military brass plates are missing.

The engine code is 4 digits. It has a military depot rebuild tag dated 5-66. That makes me think the engine is original and I'm beginning to wonder if this is a very early version of this vehicle.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Military depot rebuilds were stocked after the depot overhaul in regional supply centers and then shipped to a needy motor pool when an engine change came up. I doubt that engine is original to your jeep. US military M38A1's had no frame serial numbers stamped on them by Willys or Kaiser. If you have a WA state assigned number plate riveted over what you think is another number that number is simply a frame sheet part number.

Based on your grill type she's a late 53 or newer unit. Where did you get the 1952 info from?

The slave cable plug is in that recess.

Do you have the top or bottom battery cover?

Which of these three type frames do you have?

Last edited by wesk on Tue May 12, 2015 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveS

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Wesk.
Mine has the 6 holes with weld nuts and the large cutout on the inside of the frame rail.
The 1952 date is from the original title.
Wasn't there a stamped serial number on the top face of the frame rail to the rear of the left side engine mount? That's the location of the WA DOL retag. I see what looks like a frame part number on the outside face of the frame rail near that location and a corresponding number (different, of course) on the outside face of the passenger side frame rail.
Re: engine numbers. I think I understand. Let me restate to confirm. You are saying an engine that needs an overhaul would be replaced by an engine that was overhauled previously. And the replacement engine could very well have an earlier number than original.
Re: grill and battery box cover. My frame has the hinge bolt holes with the weld nuts. My battery box cover has the single strap with the spring clip but the body has the eight holes with weld nuts for the older style cover.
Is it possible my jeep was produced on the cusp of the model change and has a mix of old and new M38a1 styles?
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positively NO WILLYS FACTORY STAMPED SERIAL NUMBERS on M38 and M38A1 and M170 frames.

When a jeep engine needed major repair or overhaul it was usually removed and replaced with a recent Army Depot overhauled engine or a replacement factory new engine depending on what the supply system had available at the time. Either the rebuilt engine (MDXXXXX) or the new factory replacement (RMDXXXXX) could end up being a newer or older serial number. Also remember! ! Engine serials of M38's M38A1's and M170's DID NOT MATCH the serials for the body.

It is more likely your tub came with a bolt on cover which was replaced by the latch cover.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Jeep Project Threads All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: