Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - So took my M38A1 downtown
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So took my M38A1 downtown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadguy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: So took my M38A1 downtown Reply with quote

and got stuck in stop and go traffic. A 40 minute ride turned into 2+ hrs. Just as I was arriving at my destination, it seemed like the clutch was slipping. I would put it in 1st, and it would very slowly move forward, if I hit the gas, it would rev higher, but no go faster. Same with second, but not as bad. Finally I parked it and went to the fight I had tickets for. I then had dinner, and came back to the vehicle about 2 hours later. It started right up, and I had no problems most of the way home. When I was almost there, it was driving normal, but it sounded like someone put rocks in a washing machine. The more I sped up, the louder it got. At a stop, with the engine running, it was normal. Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com

Last edited by Deadguy on Sat May 09, 2015 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
ROBCDN3

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your trouble. If the tranny shifts and the engine rev`s I would be looking at the clutch or pressure plate. On the center hump forward is a removable plate, Take this off and under it is another plate on the top of the bell housing. Remove this cover and checkout the clutch parts and pieces. Hope this helps. Rob M38A1 CDN3 C.
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust the clutch linkage. It could be too tight and the rumble is your throwout bearing going. Sounds like clutch slipage. John
Bretto

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As John states, maybe the cable is set too tight check that there is some free play in the clutch pedal travel before resistance is felt. Should be about 1" of free throw before it hits.
I can't imagine all of the sudden this being out of adjustment though, unless it was always set wrong after your build. If it is, your throw out bearing is probably toast. How many miles have you put on since it was put back together?
Deadguy

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a new clutch and throwout nearing in there maybe 10,000 miles ago. I just checked, and free play before it engages is less than 1 inch
Marine core reinforced rear bumper, military transistorized turn signal upgrade, arctic heater, 11" drum brakes, 200L PTO winch, Huffy overdrive, deep water fording kit, RT 68 vehicle mounted radio, Trac Locs front and rear.
www.danhenk.com
Deadguy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It;s been running fine the last few days. I talked to my mechanic friend who works on vintage jeeps, and he says these old clutches aren't made for stop and go traffic. I might have temporarily heat glazed it. Any opinions?
www.danhenk.com
Tembek

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this in some old CJ2 correspondence. Could it be related to your issue?

REAR AXLE WEDGES - On the Model 2-WD and the Model 4-WD, 3 degree Axle Wedges, Part No. 645777, have been installed between the rear springs and the spring seats on the axle to raise the front end of the axle. This change aids in elimi- nating clutch rattle experienced in some vehicles, by giving a more direct drive thereby reducing drive line noise. Two Part No. 645776, Axle Bumper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: