Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Need engine advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need engine advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
32sbct

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Need engine advice Reply with quote

Hello, my jeep is a 1952 M38 but the engine is a chain drive L 134 from a 1943 Willys MB. The motor was rebuilt in 1979 but never run. I have removed everything from the motor to check things over and install fresh gaskets except for the crank and cam.

The motor had an MB front engine plate with a tab welded to it to accommodate the M38 motor mounts. I found an M38 front engine mounting plate that fits with no issues. My question is related to the rear engine mounting plate. I don't have one. The flywheel is the late 129 tooth M38 version. The bell housing is also the late M38 style. So my question is, which rear engine mounting plate do I need? Do I go with an MB plate or an M38 plate? Are there any issues I need to be aware of or will either one work?

The starter and generator are not military versions. They were six volt items that I had upgraded to 12 volt. They will be mounted like the original items were on an MB. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty
bbloom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe timing marks are going to be an issue. Timing marks on the MB/GPW are on the flywheel. Don't think there are timing marks on the M38 flywheel, nor is there a hole in the rear plate to view the timing marks if they were on the flywheel, those marks were on the crankshaft pulley and front timing gear cover. If you are running a chain drive cover there are no timing marks on it. I'm sure there are other issues. Those are the ones that jump out at me first.
MVPA #1196

Photo Album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album327&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will assume if you have a 129 tooth flywheel you have a large frame starter (mounts with two 5/8" bolts). The rear adapter plate must match the bell and starter. Using the late plate (5/8" dia starter bolt holes) will leave you with 6 unused 5/16" bolt holes (3 on each side) but will not be an issue.

Front plates vary so you will need to do more research on exactly which front plate with both ears forward you have.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
32sbct

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbloom wrote:
I believe timing marks are going to be an issue. Timing marks on the MB/GPW are on the flywheel. Don't think there are timing marks on the M38 flywheel, nor is there a hole in the rear plate to view the timing marks if they were on the flywheel, those marks were on the crankshaft pulley and front timing gear cover. If you are running a chain drive cover there are no timing marks on it. I'm sure there are other issues. Those are the ones that jump out at me first.

bbloom, I think you are correct. I'm not sure how I am going to tackle that issue but I am thinking about it.
southpw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in similar situation. Wes had just given me some good info last week. ...http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9046
32sbct

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesk wrote:
I will assume if you have a 129 tooth flywheel you have a large frame starter (mounts with two 5/8" bolts). The rear adapter plate must match the bell and starter. Using the late plate (5/8" dia starter bolt holes) will leave you with 6 unused 5/16" bolt holes (3 on each side) but will not be an issue.

Front plates vary so you will need to do more research on exactly which front plate with both ears forward you have.

Wes, I do have a large frame starter. It is an AC deco unit. Based on your input I'll be getting the late M38 rear mounting plate. The original front plate that came on the motor was an early Willys MB front plate that was modified by welding on a tab to accommodate the M38 motor mounts. The one I am using now is a standard M38 front plate. A trial fitting revealed no issues.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your front timing chain cover has no timing marks or pointer and your crank pulley has no marks, notches or holes then you will have to locate TDC accurately with # 1 piston coming up on compression. Then mark the cover vs pulley. Then back the crank up 5 degrees and make a 5 deg BTDC mark. On the F-134 you can find TDC accurately with a dial indicator but with the L-134 the spark plug hole is over the valves, not the piston. So you must devise a wigler that will have the needed bends to go over to the piston yet still indicate visibly the piston movement.

No matter how you mechanically determine TDC keep in mind that there is a small flat spot of several degrees that allows the crank to turn without moving the piston up or down. So when using the home made wigler method you must slowly come up towards TDC with #1 on compression and carefully watch the wigler movement. The instant the wigler stops showing a rise make a temp mark on the pulley with a corresponding mark on the timing cover. Now continue rotating the crank in it's normal direction carefully observing the lack of wigler movement. The instant the wigler starts to move down stop and make a new mark on the pulley. Now back the crank pulley backwards and split the reference mark on the cover equally between the two marks on the pulley. This is the actual TDC. Now you can add a pointer or a permanent mark on the cover for TDC and a notch or hole in the pulley matching it for the pulley's timing mark. Now rotate the crack backwards 5 degrees and make you permanent mark on the cover for the 5 degrees BTDC adjacent to the pulley notch or hole.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
32sbct

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes! That will solve my dilemma. I'll print that out and follow your instructions. It should be easy to determine TDC because the head is off which will allow me to watch the rise and fall of the piston.

Marty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: