Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 Vacuum Lines
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 Vacuum Lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j3shane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: M38 Vacuum Lines Reply with quote

The vaccum lines for my M38 are all disconnected and not routed properly, or missing all together. I saw the chart for the proper line routing so that will help.

My M38 has a Solex carb and the civy fuel pump with two tubes that curve up - they aren't connected to anything. The vacuum for the intake is capped off and the vacuum line coming from the air filter tube is hanging.

From the diagram it looks like the air out from the fuel pump goes to the intake manifold. Is this required to be connected?

It looks like the air intake tube connection connects to the carb. I don't see a connection on the solex for it. Is it needed?

Started runnig bad when you give it gas so I am replacing the plugs, putting a new solex on it, putting a fuel pressure reg on it, and checking the timing. Just wanted to fix anything that was vacuum related that could be causing issues as well....
4x4M38

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have vacuum leaks it can cause problems like you are describing.

Can you post a couple of photos?
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
j3shane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a few days before I can get picks but basically there is no vacuum connected to the motor at all, or wipers. The vaccum connections to the fuel pump are not connected to anything and not sure where to connect to the Solex carb. Will post pics when i get them. Thanks
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no vacuum connections that go to the carb on a M38 no matter which carb you use.

The civvy vacuum/fuel pump is plumbed the same as the military. Inlet air port is connected to the vacuum wiper T and outlet air port to the intake manifold. If unsure which port is which run the engine and the inlet air port will suck and the outlet air port will blow.

Will need to see photos of the top and both sides of your engine and the firewall to offer workable advice. To add photos to a post here you will first need to put your photos on a host web site. Then you link the photos to your post using the photo's URL. If you wish to open a photo album in our member's photo album page request one here: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=9

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of my M38 engine with a Solex carb. The copper lines connected to the military vac/fuel pump are original. You can see what Wes referred to - line to the intake manifold and up to the wiper "T". If you don't have the vac/fuel pump you also won't have air flowing through the lines to the distributor - helps keep the waterproof distributor cool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: