Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Compression testing results.
Rear brake cyclinder compatability
T90 inspection before action?
M38 Radio Power Cable/Connector
Wanted to buy - C-375/VRC
Battery cut off in motor compartment?
Cross Member Radiator Tabs
WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Master cylinder question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master cylinder question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Master cylinder question Reply with quote

Been a while since I was here. It has actually been about a year since I even need with the Jeep. So anyway, I was taking the pedal cross shaft and pedals off because i have a LOT of play in the brake pedal arm (turned out that I need a new cross shaft AND brake pedal arm - I already have new bracket). That's when I saw the brake fluid leaking from the boot. So after I realized that would have to order parts, I shifted my attention to the master cylinder. I pulled it off and tie it down. I cleaned it up and replaced the cups on reassembly. I cleaned all of the ports which had a bunch of crap in them. Ok, so here's my question. I thought that one of the ports in the bottom of the reservoir was plugged, but when I ran a drill bit down into it, it was not drilled all the way through. The one I am referring to is the 5/32" hole in the middle of the reservoir looking straight down into the filler hole. Is this supposed to be drilled through also? That would explain my brake problems if so.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
oilleaker1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two holes, feed and return. I wouldn't go drilling them oversize, just clean them so they are open. If the bore in the cylinder is pitted from rust, cut your losses and buy a new master. John
bluewatersailor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I checked 2 of my "spare" (read take-off) master cylinders. Both have a shallow indent approximately in line with the center of the filler opening. Really look like tooling marks from when the filler opening was bored out and threaded. I'd say definitely not supposed to be a through hole. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. David
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, man, I thought had found my problem there! Oh well. The bite and everything looked good on it - just figured it needed new cups bc it was leaking. Then i saw that partial hole. I went ahead and ordered a bunch of parts to get everything back up to snuff for the convoy at the rally ina few weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeeperjoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilleaker1 wrote:
I think there are two holes, feed and return. I wouldn't go drilling them oversize, just clean them so they are open. If the bore in the cylinder is pitted from rust, cut your losses and buy a new master. John

I used to work with some guys that had rare antique cars that contained parts that were unobtainium including wheel and master cylinders. When the cylinders were ruined from pitting, they took the cylinders to a machine shop and they bored them out and pressed in a liner made of stainless steel. I think there are now shops that specialize in doing this kind of work.
jaycee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats affirm on the boring of brake cylinders. try and check out "white post restorations in virginia" i live in the philippines and needed a new cet of cylinders for my j24a. there are none to be had here. i ended up buying one from japan . the most expensive master cylinder in the world! over 450 $ !!!! a friend was visiting from the states and i had the retrogrades on my bench, he offered to take them back to conus and white post has them now 400$ to repair resleeve two wheel cylinders and the master cylinder. i couldnt bear to throw them away after shelling out all that coin on new ones. they've done work for me before and have been very satisfied so far.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to find out, the "unfinished" hole I was referring to actually has a very small hole inside the 5/32" partially drilled hole that is drilled through. I found a diagram online that showed this to be a bypass hole. I used a welding tip file to clean this hole out, as I didn't have a drill bit small enough. Mine WAS plugged.

I installed an NOS kit in the master cylinder, bled it and installed in the Jeep. I must have had the steel lines installed off center, because when I pressed the pedal, brake fluid leaked out like a sieve! I tightened them and got the same result. When I pulled the lines back off, you could see indentions on the brass y fitting mating surfaces. I figure this is why it is not sealing. I am going to replace the brake lines that connect to the master cylinder today since they are rusty on the outside. I will have to order a new y fitting though. The Denton rally is coming very fast - I am hoping I can get the brake issue resolved before April 14th!
bluewatersailor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: MASTER CYLINDER Reply with quote

Matt, did you make sure to use the soft copper washers on either side of the fitting?They act as a gasket. dwm
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir - I installed new ones. It was leaking at one of them also, but that leak stopped after a thorough tightening. After I replace the lines, I'll hook them up to check for leaks before I order a new y fitting, but I am guessing I will have to buy a new one because of the indentions in it causing the leak.
jeeperjoe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaycee wrote:
thats affirm on the boring of brake cylinders. try and check out "white post restorations in virginia"

White Post is the place that I was thinking of but I couldn't remember the name. I was in a car club with the owner of White Post over 30 years ago. I still remember the 3 wheel Morgan that he used to drive around! IIRC he also had supercharged Cord! (drool!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: