Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

WTB M38 distributor breaker plate tabs
Hodakaguy M38 Misc Thread
1950 M38 no reading on the dash amp meter
Transfer Case rebuild issues
Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Light switch test confirm.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Light switch test confirm.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember unless you are looking
at the two early Bendix switches the newer
ones have internal breakers.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Resister in later switches Reply with quote

I have a couple questions regarding the 3 position light switch, forgive me if this is the wrong spot to ask it. This is for My m38a1
1. What size is the resister/breaker in the switch?

2. How many amps is the switch designed to handle? In other words, how many amps flows through the switch and resister to run the lights on 24v?

I finally understand the increase amperage requirements with 12 volts, I think. In order to deliver the same brightness (watts) in 12 v as the 24 v lights, will require increase amperage. Thus the almost doubling in amps to run the 12v lights. Although, I came up with a hair brained idea to test on paper. Using LED bulbs, which draw a fraction of the amps required to produce the same amount of light, thus lower amps flowing through the switch? For example a 30 watt incandescent light bulb equivalent LED is only 3.6 watts. So it should take significantly less amps to light up the LED bulbs.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CB rating in the latest copy of the milspec for that switch is 20Amps. S as long as your total (max # lamps on at the same time) is less than 20 amps the switch will handle it.

To find these MILSPECS just locate the FSC (5930 for this switch) in your parts manuals and go to the MILSPEC page Everyspec.com and search for FSC: 5930. There you can download the old original spec MS51113 and the current version MIL-PRF-11021H . These will answer any questions you may have about the engineering of the switch.

http://everyspec.com/
here's the old spec MS51113: http://everyspec.com/MS-Specs/MS5/MS51113C_18847/

here's the latest version MIL-PRF-11021H: http://everyspec.com/MIL-PRF/MIL-PRF-010000-29999/MIL-PRF-11021H_49853/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
jeeperjoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff_Lee wrote:
Not pretty:

I took one of the late model switches apart and it also looked like this. Getting it apart was difficult enough but there was NO hope for the internals. Sad
DC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks Wes Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, if I have luck with the LED bulbs, on 12v, I'll post in a new forum, with my solutions, and calculations. I can post where I find working LED bulb replacements. I think I found an online source rated to work from 9v to 30v. Will let everyone know what I figure out. Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: