Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - 2017 MVPA RT 66 CONVOY Sept 19-Oct 14 WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2017 MVPA RT 66 CONVOY Sept 19-Oct 14 WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Events/Transportation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondjim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: 2017 MVPA RT 66 CONVOY Sept 19-Oct 14 WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING? Reply with quote

I am taking a unrestored M170,new brakes,wiring,nos top,some spares,that all,jim d MVPA NEWS Now hear this…..are YOU ready for another Convoy? If you are, then the MVPA has got a convoy for you!

With the successes of recent Cross-Country Convoys, the 2009 TMC'09 Convoy (retracing the first US Army Transcontinental Motor Convoy in 1919, from Washington, DC to San Francisco, CA), the 2012 AC'12 Convoy (celebrating the 70th anniversary of the construction of the Alaska Highway, from Dawson Creek, BC to Delta Junction, AK and back to Dawson Creek again) and the 2015 Bankhead Highway Convoy (retracing the second US Army Transcontinental Motor Convoy in 1920), from Washington, DC to San Diego, CA under our belts, your MVPA Cross-Country Convoys team is preparing to launch the next major Convoy.

My wife Janine and I have enjoyed the last three convoys driving our 1964 Dodge M43 Ambulance. On TMC’09 we joined the convoy in Fallon, Nevada and drove on the Lincoln Highway to San Francisco, CA. We drove the entire AC’12 and the Alcan was an amazing trip to the Arctic Circle. On BH’15 I was part of the convoy core team working closely with Terry Shelswell, MVPA Convoy Projects Leader and Convoy Commander.

Following BH’15 Terry asked me to step up as Convoy Commander for Rt66’17 to allow Terry and Muriel time to enjoy driving “in” the convoy and time for Terry to devote planning for TMC’19 convoy.

We are proud to introduce the 2017 MVPA Route 66 Convoy, from Chicago, IL to Santa Monica, CA. This Convoy - the Rt66’17 Convoy - retraces the original 1926 route when the Bureau of Public Roads launched the nation’s first Federal highway system.

“World War II caused a marked decline in civilian and tourist traffic, but it stimulated new business along U.S. 66, when it acted as a military transport corridor moving troops and supplies from one military reservation to another. Motels saw an increase in occupancy, as families of servicemen stationed at military bases stayed for long stretches. But more significantly, Route 66 facilitated perhaps the single greatest wartime mobilization, as thousands of jobseekers headed to California, Oregon and Washington to work in defense plants”.

This is an official MVPA sanctioned event and the route begins in Chicago, Illinois and travels through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and into California to Santa Monica.

rt 66 info for sl and web

Key Points of this 2,300 mile Convoy:  “FIRST GEAR” is Saturday, 16 September, 2017 near Chicago, IL, with staging a few days before.  Registration is open to all current MVPA members and all eras of HMVs.  Convoy will be limited to 80 ‘full-distance’ HMV teams plus 20 ‘regional section’ HMV teams for each of the regional sections.  ‘Full distance’ fee = $300 / HMV team.  ‘Regional section’ fee is $150 / HMV team.  As with previous convoys, the following shall apply; o Convoy maximum speed is 35 mph. o A rest day is planned after each 3 – 4 days of driving. There will be 6 rest-day periods. o MVPA Affiliate Groups near the route are encouraged to help the Rt 66’ Convoy HMVs create a great static display at our lunch, overnight and rest-day stops, with extra HMVs to be on display during the day at these stops. o No weapons (real or otherwise) will be allowed on Convoy vehicles.

 The planned ‘Regional Sections’ are as follows: o Regional Section 1 – Chicago to Branson, MO (561 miles) o Regional Section 2 – Branson to El Reno, OK (389 miles) o Regional Section 3 – El Reno to Santa Fe, NM (515 miles) o Regional Section 4 – Santa Fe to Williams, AZ (416 miles) o Regional Section 5 – Williams to Santa Monica, CA (526 miles)

Those MV teams that participated on either or all of the TMC'09, AC'12 or BH’15 Convoys were given this notice about 2 weeks prior to this Supply Line delivery, but there are still open spots.

This Convoy has the opportunity to be every bit as great as the last three Convoys. We will travel through some heavily populated areas, giving our MV hobby and the MVPA enormous exposure to the general public and saluting our Veterans. The 10 Year Convoy Plan is detailed on the MVPA website.

To reserve your spot contact MVPA Headquarters:

See us online at www.mvpa.org Email us at hq@mvpa.org Call us at 1.800.365.5798 or 1.816.833.6872
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in this event. However went to the MVPA website and very little information on the requirements to for the convoy. I want to know if I can financially afford the event and what plans I need to fulfill before committing funds to something I cannot afford.

I have sent an email off to the Convoy Commander requesting more info, I will post here as I can.

Hope to see you on the road...

BTW I will be taking my M-38 CDN and M-100 Trailer...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
diamondjim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on the last 3 convoys,what are your questions,jim
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My questions are many but the prime ones are as follows:

I understand entry fee is $150 to participate from Branson, MO to El Reno, OK… what does that cover? Food, Lodgings that sort of thing…

Also with these older vehicles do I need a chase vehicle in the event of a breakdown… I am not saying I will have one but it happens… I have done the Fayetteville, AR Red Balling thru the Ozarks 6 times without problems…

Needing to get some of this info together as I can present it to the wife and figure out if I need more finances to do the event. I have the vacation time, just need to figure out the money side…

Thanks
1952 M-100 Strick #104
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a reply from the Convoy Commander, it took me sending an email to MVPA HQ to get him to answer. I received three documents of which 2 say the same things and are repeats of each other. The 2 attachments for one of them was not included and I am still waiting for a reply for a request for these... I have come to the conclusion that the folks running this convoy do not want to talk to you unless you are willing to PAY their fee to get the information...

I have decided not to participate in their event... Those that seem to be running it do not want to communicate with me... I do not have the funds to waste...

The frat attitude I saw at the 2007 convention still seems to be prevalent...
1952 M-100 Strick #104
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
whydahdvr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond Jim, et al:

I'm interested in the Regional Section 3 & 4 segments of the convoy. I have family in Santa Fe, NM so would use that as my base. I have similar questions as the others but need to know logistical details. Also, the pictures provided by Diamond Jim in the original posting did not populate - no links.

I read a while back about the last convoy that went through Santa Fe and having lived out there in the past I know some of the roads. Sounded great! But I'm on the East Coast in Boston, MA. Like others I would need all the details to plan out how to participate if possible - have to get me and my jeep and anything else I need from Boston to Santa Fe and back!

Diamond Jim, if you guys want more participants I suggest posting all the details, documents, etc. here to help provide anyone from this group a single point of contact and reference to evaluate details. For someone on the route or retired, it might not be as big an issue but for those of us working full time and a thousand miles or more from the route it becomes a much bigger challenge to coordinate. Unless the desire is to keep the number of participants to a much smaller group.

Let us know.
Thanks.
1952 M38
1964 Apollo 5000 GT

De Opresso Liber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Events/Transportation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: