Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - New cast 134L Head Blocks
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New cast 134L Head Blocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brimac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: New cast 134L Head Blocks Reply with quote

What's up with the new cast blocks? Cast in Asia I assume ? Killing some time and came across this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-head-134-bare-block-NEW-fits-WILLYS-Jeep-CJ2A-CJ3A-M38-DJ3-pickup-wagon-/172549797418?hash=item282cc4f62a:g:qXMAAOSwhlZYseYX&vxp=mtr
rgmutchler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiser Willys sent out an email with a big write up on the newly cast blocks. I thought the article said they were cast in the Midwest.
http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=rgmutchler&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made in China!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1608-vintage-jeep-engine-blocks/

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
4x4M38

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, boy.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
DanS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a BIG disappointment. To think that one of the most iconic engines ever built is being manufactured outside of the US is disgusting to me. I will NEVER buy one.
GPW 14944 dod 4/10/42
K38 Linemans Trailer 4/43
M100 Trailer 01177488 dod 8/51
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully at my age I'll never need another block, but if I did and couldn't find a reasonably priced U.S. made block to rebuild or replace it, I suppose I'd be forced to consider one made off-shore, but only if the quality was there. The $1900 price doesn't seem out-of-line to me for a new quality block. I don't want to be the guy who discovers the quality isn't there. I scratch my head that somebody today (an American) thinks there's enough demand to support making brand new L-134 blocks and then is actually doing it. Bold. Big brass ones if you ask me. Good stuff.

There's only so many original surviving motors, even less with MC or RMC serial numbers right? When they're gone, what other choice will there be? Mount up a pinto engine or a small-block V8? Can't ever see myself doing that to a M38. My bet is the younger folks in this hobby will eventually have to deal with a decision to buy one of these or not.

While I'd certainly like to see new blocks made in the U.S.A., I don't see that happening anytime soon. Same for 2245 spark plugs. I'm old enough to remember the stink over Japanese products coming in the U.S. back in the 60's when the quality stunk bad. Then they wised up and made better quality than we wanted to make, and did it for less money. Now there's a Honda or Toyota in every other garage. And there hasn't been an American made TV in decades.

While I always prefer to buy American made stuff, I want quality first for the hard-earned money. If Americans can't or won't produce it, I'll try to get it where I can.

I don't like it when stuff is camouflaged as being made in America when it's not.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Last edited by RonD2 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more.

Maybe I better hang onto this grubby old block
I got last year in a deal...
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as our government has been minting pennies and nickels with metal that's worth more than their face value, I'd offer that it might not be too long before they work their way through quarters and $100 bills. Then that Toledo steel block you have would be worth it's weight in gold (ok, maybe silver). I think I've heard you say in this forum many times? --- don't scrap anything!

I wonder if the folks making these blocks (if they turn out to be the quality advertised and they can sell enough) would consider letting the buyer specify the serial number they stamp on the boss? Show proof of your block serial number first, of course. Maybe even take the shot block back to offset shipping cost and melt it down to cast a new one --- at least part of the new one would be American steel.

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: