Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M762 and M115 trailer chassis
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M762 and M115 trailer chassis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: M762 and M115 trailer chassis Reply with quote

I had the chance to buy an M762 (USMC marked) flatbed trailer recently. I was thinking that it might be a cool piece to pull behind my USMC a1. After a little research, I saw that it was rated at 3/4T. The only thing I read that it was used for was a light or radio tower? It has rails(?) built into the floor, so I was thinking it was used as a small generator trailer, but everything I saw for that use was the M116 (3/4T) chassis.

OK, so here's my REAL dilemma/question. Along the same lines as the M762 flatbed, I saw that the M100 trailer also came in an M115 chassis version. The problem is that I can't find a picture of one by searching the internet. I did a quick search through an online manual and didn't see a pic of the chassis version in there either. So, does anyone have a pic of one, or can answer a few questions about one? I have an M100 chassis that I cut the rotten tub off of 15yrs or so ago. The chassis is in good condition.

I was thinking about converting it into a version of the M762. Now the questions.
- What thickness and would the floor metal be? 1/8"?
- Would it be flat metal (like an M101 or M105 trailer), or diamond plate? I'm thinking flat, but diamond plate would give grip for the load.
- Would the fenders have a bracket on the ends to hold it securely or would the little "L" brackets on the frame (and "L" brackets welded to the fender filler piece) be sufficient? The M762 had brackets across the front and rear of the fenders.
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an M115. Keep in mind that the chassis version was simply a chassis only. No floor or fenders. If a floor &/or fenders were used for certain carried equipment The installation instructions for that equipment would be the only source for the floor / fender setup used.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes. That's a start! How bout that, I ALREADY have an M115! It looks like the rails are the "skid mount" for the compressor setup?

The compressor setup would be cool for a display, but I'm sure getting a CORRECT compressor/motor/tank setup would be near impossible. Maybe if I could piece something together that was CLOSE to the same vintage. Looks pretty easy to build - no fenders (although I DO have the original M100 fenders), add 2 rails along the chassis and mount the compressor setup for a fabricated skid mount.

Another setup I had in mind was a generator trailer. Again, finding a CORRECT, working, military one of that vintage would probably be impossible to find. I was thinking just put a newer 3kw one on it (3kw is in the 350# range, but a 5kw one is in the 900# range!).

The last setup (which would more than likely be how it stays for a while) would be just a flatbed for load carrying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
billybob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: M762 and M115 trailer chassis. Reply with quote

There was a couple 416 trailer chassis only in Rolla Mo a week or so ago. The axles, tires etc were separate. I can check on them if you like. He had some complete 416 trailers a few weeks ago. They weren't in the best of shape.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it Bob, but that is a little far for me. Although the m416 production years would fit my USMC a1 (1964) better than the m100, I already have the m100/m115 chassis. Trailer prices are out of my reach these days - maybe one day I'll run across another deal like I did on the 3 I've owned (m416 - $300, m100 - $200, m100 with rusted out tub - free with purchase of 2 NOS M38a1 fenders).

I tried to sell my m100 chassis a while back, but I guess it was worth more to me at the time because I didn't even get a counter offer on it. Now I'm glad I didn't sell it (give it away) since I have a 2nd Jeep.
billybob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: M762 and M115 trailer chassis. Reply with quote

That's quite alright. I understand.
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PE-95's are still around for a 120 AC gen set. They use the Willys L134.

I'd go with a pair of late 60's thru 70's smaller units. One DC up to 32V's and one AC 120V. A good pair would be the MEP-015A 120/240 60 cyc and a MEP-025A 28 VDC would work very nicely. These would give you a nice camping out set for both jump starting the MV's and lighting up the tent or camper.

they are about 121 Lbs and 2' x 2' x 1 1/2' each.

MEP-25A 28 VDC

MEP-015A 120/240 VAC 60 cyc.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wes, that's the info I need. Period correct and still useful! I'm going to start doing some research on the PE- 95 after church, although there's no big rush.

I went out and got some measurements on my chassis yesterday so I can order the metal. Looks like about 39" x 72.5" with a 1/2" lip folded down on each side and one folded up on the front. I'm going with 11ga sheet.

Thanks for the help on my new project!
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up winning an auction on Govdeals last week for a different M762 in Conyers GA.

Phase 1: I left early last Friday morning to recover it. Halfway down (110miles), my right front caliper locked up on the truck. I was able to get it freed up and disabled it with a pair of vise grips - good enough to creep back home with my tail between my legs.

Phase 2: I worked it out with my Father in law to go back down with me yesterday (using the company truck = free gas!). We left at 08:00. Started sleeting and snowing on the way down. It cleared up a little by the time we got there though. The plan was to pull it up into the bed of the f150 (because a few people on other forums said it would roll right up in there). I measured my m100 before we left just to check. I had all the recovery tools including air tank, electric and manual winch, ramps, hand tools and tie downs. We got there and it rolled easily and the tires weren't noticeably flat. I hooked it up to the pintle after using the large adjustable wrench to break it loose and straighten it up. We pulled it up to the parking lot, unloaded the bed, put the ramps up and winched it up on the tailgate - and that's as far as it would go! It was about 3/4" too wide to fit through the tailgate opening!

After brainstorming for a few minutes and the weather deteriorating by the minute, we decided that there was no way it was going in there. We winched it back down the ramps, unhooked, loaded everything in the truck, hooked the trailer to the truck and took off. I also tried to air up the tires - the valve on the tank was frozen, so that didn't happen.

We drove a couple of miles down the road and found a gas station with an air pump - one tire took air but the other wouldn't - maybe the core? We drove a couple more miles down the road to a tire place - they were able to air it up without changing the valve core. We headed home into the bad weather on 40yo NDTs. We went about 10 miles and stopped to make sure the bearings weren't heating up. The bearings were cool as a cucumber, but there was a 3" split in the side of one tire.

Phase 3: I located a U-Haul place close by. We get there and start doing paperwork - then we realize we didn't load a regular drawbar and 2" ball. AND the small U-Haul place didn't sell them! So we drop the trailer and take off 10 miles down the road to a Tractor Supply to buy one. Did I forget to mention that it was snowing and sleeting pretty heavy by now - AND it is 4:00PM? We get back to the U-Haul place and I finish paperwork while my Father in law hooks the tow dolly up. Once the paperwork is done, we all work together and get the trailer up on the tow dolly with the lunette strapped down to the tow dolly tongue. Do a quick light check and one running light isn't working - good enough - the rest are.

We run back roads for another 40 miles, then get on I-85 for another 60. We stop for dinner about 20;00 after the weather lets up a little.

Another 60 miles and we are home - it is a light drizzle there. We unloaded the trailer in the field, unhooked the tow dolly then unloaded the tools in the shop. Finished up at 21:45 - almost 14hrs after we started off on our journey. I am happy with the purchase - it is in pretty good shape, but the recovery was extra costly in time and money!
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat,

Good thinking with the selection of the car tote. I have a car tote I traded a customer some labor time for 12 years ago. That's what I used to haul my first M100 home 300 Miles from Illinois. A very sensible choice for a 2 wheel trailer carriage. Wasn't my best choice for my M38 project which I hauled 500 miles up here from southern Iowa which is another long painful story. I learned the hard way back then that all the old classic vehicle's wheels need to be up off the road for any long trip.

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, it really was a joy to haul on it and was easy to load and unload. It wasn't TERRIBLY expensive to rent - one way was $80. We actually OWN a tow dolly and a couple of trailers that the M762 would've fit on - we just figured that putting it in the bed would have allowed us to safely travel at interstate speeds so that we could get home earlier. Lesson learned - now I know what I have to do next time.

I did a little research (I know - a little too late for that!). Hopefully it will help somebody else in the future. At their widest point (fender width), the M100 is 56 1/4" and the M416 is 60.5". You can remove the fenders on these to reduce the width by about 3". To remove the fenders on the M762, you also have to remove the fender brackets (front and back). The M762 weighs 610#! Mine doesn't have a data plate, but I found a pic of one on the net. That lunette casting is heavier than I thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> M100 & other 1/4 T trailers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: