Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - How to remove steering wheel without destroying it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to remove steering wheel without destroying it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonD2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeze-Off !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0BaowQvL6c

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTERESTING! I'll be going to O'Rielly shortly to buy fuel and vacuum lines, so I'll see if they sell it - worth a try. Thanks for the link Ron!
'51 USMC M100 trailer, '54 M100 trailer, '90 M101a1 trailer
Http://wilfreeman.wordpress.com (M38a1 build blog)
http://m38a1usmc.wordpress.com (USMC M38a1 rebuild blog)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GPA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes they just won't come off, no matter what you try.
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob - did you get yours off yet? Mine finally popped this afternoon after removing the puller, cleaning the exposed threads, applying heat and more WD40 Rust Penetrant and reinstalling the puller. An hour or so later I turned the puller bolt a couple more turns and it popped loose - finally!

After I pulled the old wheel off, I cleaned the threads and tried my new wheel on for size. I didn't put it on tightly - just wanted to make sure everything fit. I don't really like the green color - I might paint it black like the original.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
4x4M38

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read here somewhere original wheels were green and
replacement wheels were black.

Maybe Wes can clarify.
http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=album372&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my '54 wheel was green - didn't know if the late model ones were black or not.
kenperkins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

originals are green
'51 M38 #22936,
'51 M100 Dunbar
'53 M100 Dunbar
M416b1
2- M762
MVPA #11788
MVCC LIFER
w30bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, everything I've read says the original Sheller wheels were solid green resin (plastic). That makes it a bit harder to fix an original cracked wheel, as the epoxy or glue used has to be tinted the exact color green or you end up having to paint the whole wheel. I'm planning on using a dental epoxy for teeth.......can't wait to see the expression on my dentist's face when I ask for some OD tint for the epoxy!

Turns out I'm not going to Red Ball this weekend due to weather.........so maybe I will get a chance to wrestle with my steering wheel. Going to go out and see if I can find the freeze penetrant.....looks like a cool idea (pun intended).

Laughing

later,
bob
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repaired my '54 wheel with epoxy and painted it 24087 - has lasted 21yrs (6yrs in use). Are the later models supposed to be THAT light (like mine)? If they are, that's fine, but I think forest green or black would look better.

O'Reillys said they normally carry the Freeze off, but didn't have any - they ordered it. I went back to pick it up at the stated time 2hrs later - they said it had burst and had to re order. I didn't have time to wait around town all afternoon (had a Jeep to work on!), so I said I would pick it up Saturday morning after work. But, of course, I don't need it now! I guess it will sit on the shelf until I run across a rusty bolt - that shouldn't be too long working on a 50yo Jeep!
w30bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

The story on the green color of the new wheels is the person who first had them made cut open an original wheel and matched that color. At least that's what's said on the Ebay listing. I think it was QTM that had them made first? I figured all the repop wheels are coming from the same place..........but maybe they're not and the colors are different. Where did you get your wheel from?

I swung by Advance Auto last night during a lull in the storm and bought their last two cans of Freeze Off. I was hoping to get to try taking it off today, but yesterday's NorthEast'r knocked my power out until this afternoon and I've been outside cutting up fallen trees and clearing debris. Maybe tomorrow. I'll got out there first thing and give it a good soak with the Freeze off. Then by the afternoon it should have seeped in real good.

Hope everyone in the Northeast is ok after the storm.

regards,
bob
wilfreeman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's who I got mine from. I've bought a good many parts from him and visited his store/warehouse once - I could spend many hours there! Actually, I will be in Atlanta in a couple of weeks and plan on going again while my wife is at a convention (day trip).

Anyhow, the steering wheel looks pretty much identical to the one that I just pulled off except for the color. I guess it's not that big of a deal - it just stands out more than I like.

Let us know how the Freeze-Off works. I picked my can up from O'Reilly this morning.
w30bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

Found time to futz with my jeep this afternoon. Put the Freeze Off on liberally and let it sit for a few hours. Then before coming in for the night I installed a puller and "assumed the position". Got it good and tight and will give it another turn in the morning. This might take awhile.

Rolling Eyes

regards,
bob

wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem I see with the varied pullers being used is all except the original GI one seem to have a tendency to pull inward on the sides of the puller as they pull up and this tends to compress the plastic hub a bit at it's upper surface which I think is causing some of the prolonged pulling attempts.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
w30bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wes,

Yeah, I did think about that. I checked the cracks in my wheel very carefully as I tightened up the puller. If the wheel was "cupping" from the forces you describe I suspect the cracks would decrease.........but they didn't. The bearing puller I'm using fits the circumference of the rear hub of the steering wheel perfectly, so I'm not pulling/pushing on the spokes of the wheel with the puller. That's not to say that all forces are directly thru the outer splined insert of the steering wheel.......but most are pretty close. I'm about to head out now to re-tighten.

regards,
bob
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your plates are lifting perpendicular to the surface of the hub they are not an issue and the cracks would not necessarily close as the outer half of your setup is pulling inboard. However the pinch transmitted thru the steel frame of the wheel will tend to pinch the top of the splined female section slightly.

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: