Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Wiper motor...which is the correct one?
Lead additive, one more question.
M31C mount with or without replica weapon
Backfire and Hesitation
Wanted: Steering column and shaft for M38-1952, or late CJ2A
2024 CT. MILITARY VEHICLE SHOW AND FLEA MARKET- JUNE 15,2024
Brake Line
How to link full size photos in posts
Clutch release bearing support cast tab for return spring
T90 case replacement required?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - Locking hub install M38A1 - Huh?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Locking hub install M38A1 - Huh?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timjuhl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Locking hub install M38A1 - Huh? Reply with quote

Ok...I need some of the collective wisdom and experience of the group. It seems every year I get asked to be in more parades. It's flattering but I fear somewhat hard on the Jeep. I tried running in 1st but I'm constantly clutching which can't be good. I've taken to whenever I'm on a straight segment, going to 4WD low so I can creep at walking speed. When I get to corners I shift up to 2wd.
Hoping to take the strain off my drivetrain I just ordered a pair of Warn manual locking hubs. The instructions are pretty much useless so I wondered if anyone out there has installed them on a M38A1 or similar Jeep and can give me any insights. Better yet, does anyone know of some GOOD instructions out there? I've looked but had little luck.
Before I jack the wheel up and start taking things apart I'd really like to have some idea what I'm doing. Thanks for your help Smile
mdainsd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have locking hubs on my M38s. Original? No. Who cares, it drives better, not wearing out the front axle with a million road miles and as you have discovered, there are times that the ratio of transfer low without being in 4 wheel drive is good, (parades).

They are simplicity themselves to install. You don't even need to jack the Jeep up.

Remove the 6 mounting bolts on the stock drive flanges and remove them.

Clean the sealing surface of the wheel hub.

I like a little gasket sealer on both sides of the paper gasket.

In stall locking hubs and torque to stock specs.

The only thing that puts a fly in the ointment is if the Jeep has studs for the drive flanges. Some locking hubs can accommodate them, others need long bolts to go through the locking hub and into the wheel hub. No biggie really.
'52 Dodge M37, '42 GPW, '48 FrankenJeep CJ2A/M38, '50 CJV-35(U), '51 M38, '42 WC-57 Command Car, '44 WC-51 Weapons , (2) M1941 Sperry 60" Anti-Aircraft Searchlights, John Deere M-gator, '44 White M3A1 Scout Car
OKCM38CDN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy as mdainsd posted - I have lockouts (Warn) on both my M-38 CDN and M-38A1 and simple bolts 9/16" in six slots... pull old hubs off and put lock outs on...

When I do parades, I place in 2X4 (2WD) and shift into Low gear 2nd and let idle... may have to step on the gas sometimes to close the gaps, but that interrupts tossing candy to the kids... Smile[/b]
1952 M-100 Strick #104
1951 Willys Wagon (For Sale)
1954 Willys M38A1 201001205
Tornado Alley
Del City, OK
wesk
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a good place to verify the Warn hubs you got are 10 spline or 19 spline. If your M38A1's stock you want 10 spline. As the fellow above already posted, it's a simple installation. There are at least a dozen locking hubs on the market over the last 50 years that fit these jeeps so it would also help to tell us what model Warn hubs you are trying to install.

Perhaps these which are current production?

If it is these then what on this instruction sheet do you have questions about?

Mjeeps photo album: http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?set_albumName=Wes-Knettle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
Ray101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option for parade use, but more work is to take out the interlock pin in the transfer case. This will allow you to shift into low range while in two wheel drive. The advantage of this mod is you can have your jeep look original on the outside.
timjuhl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Hubs Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I ordered the ten spline, 6 mounting hole WARN 29062 which is supposed to fit any Willys from early CJ's thru M38A1. I have a install sheet similar to the one you printed Wes, but I thought it was lacking in detail. It basically says "pull this off, put this on" which after reading these posts, I guess is about it. I assumed it would make more sense once I started removing bolts but why not ask what others have experienced? That and the fact that with my old eyes I almost need a magnifying lens to see the diagrams.
Right now my Jeep is in my hangar at the airport 16 miles away where I left it after a fly-in and parade last weekend. I'll hopefully get it home in the next couple of days so I can go to work on it before the next parade on July 7th.

All the best!
Tim
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lockout hubs on both my M38 and M38A1, easy installation. I bought vintage looking hubs for the M38 - Dualmatic 2 lever hubs. The M38A1 got hubs that were an off-brand Warn type. Just a note - every once in a while I engage the hubs and go for a drive in 2WD (or 4WD on gravel roads) - the wheels will spin up the drive shafts and that keeps the steering hubs and drive shaft lubrication coating all parts. Another idea for parades if you don't have lockouts is to just remove the front driveshaft. You take it completely off or just unbolt from the axle and securely wire it up out of the way - just don't engage it in 4WD!
cabinfever

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, I did exactly what you plan on doing for the same reason: parades.

Before I installed the lock-out hubs, I spray painted them with OD paint that matches the jeep.

I've only had one person point out to me that the lock outs weren't original equipment on the A1. LOL!
Steve Stark - 1955 M38A1 MD #85388

Member - MVPA #35153
Member - Red Bull Historic Military Vehicle Association
skyjeep50

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my hubs are painted OD also. I didn't buy nice new Warn hubs because the chrome finish.is hard to coat with paint.
timjuhl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Hubs Reply with quote

I painted the Warns OD, an act of faith that I would get them installed.... The installation itself was fairly straightforward.... the only thing that you might miss if you don't study the diagrams is the need to align the cap pin with the cutout in the gasket with a cutout in the big casting.

They're on, look good, but with the temps in the humid 90's the most I felt up to was a short drive on the lawn. I had totally sweated out my clothes and just didn't have it in me. In the next couple of days I'll find some pavement and see what happens when I put it in 4Low.

One quick question - there was a little in-out play in the axles. It pretty much disappeared when I put on the clip. How much play is acceptable? Do I have a problem here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: