Create an account Home  ·  ·  Forums  ·  ·  Articles  ·  ·  Downloads  ·  ·  Photo Gallery  
Login
Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one here.

Navigation
· Home
· Article Archive
· Article Submit
· Downloads
· FAQ
· Forums
· Members List
· Photo Gallery
· Private Messages
· Web Links
· Your Account

Search Articles

Forums

Zerks causing trouble.
1952 M38 converting to 12V
M38A1 Slave Bucket location
M274 A3 Mule For Sale
flywheel advice
conversion from a 12 volt system back to a 24 volt system
M151 A2 + M416 Trailer For Sale
M38 ignition points condensor
TM9-8015-1 Clarification
Wiper motor...which is the correct one?

Willys M Jeeps Forums

willysmjeeps.com :: View topic - M38 issue update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M38 issue update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stiknruddr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: M38 issue update Reply with quote

I’ve made several posts about my M38 engine issues and thought I’d update. As to carb issues YS637 never could get the first one to operate. Got a second core, rebuilt carb issue solved. Buuut....then found it was still missing and sure enough those “new” plug wires? One was bad. Then still a ignition stutter when not under a load. Quite a bit of play in the Autolite distributor so bought a “new” one. Junk. Just rebuilt the Autolite runs sweet. I can’t say enough about Willy’s Distributors had everything to rebuild the Autolite which is solid. Thanks for all who contributed to my issues. Now...off to the MEP 803 generator. Winter coming. Neal
Stiknruddr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Oh and... Reply with quote

Increased the timing to 8-10 degrees runs spunky with 89 octane gas.
Dmk67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update! I really enjoy hearing not only the issue , symptoms,etc ( as I have plenty of them too!) but the resolution to issues, these updates really help to track down similar issues as they inevitably crop up!
Thanks again,
Dave
Build date August of 1951
S/N MC 31118
Proudly helping her to stay active in her retired years ...
RonD2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto! Thanks!

“The only good sports car that America ever made was the Jeep."
--- Enzo Ferrari

Stiknruddr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

Another post I made was concerning wiring mine was shot. I found a nos M170 harness shortened the rear part and converted to a 12v single wire alternator dual pulley. I ran a 12ga wire dedicated to powering the 3 lever light switch and a separate wire with circuit breaker for ignition. I just replaced the pin in the light plug with the new wire. I removed the 20amp circuit breaker from the 3 lever light switch. Fabricated the front headlight harness from surplus harnesses and connectors from Saturn Surplus. Used 2 left rear lights to have dual brake lights. Bulbs from a pin ball supplier in CA. All can be put back to 28v in a day.
Stiknruddr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Oil pressure Reply with quote

The block in my M38 is civilian sn but was new or overhauled a long time ago. Standard bore looks new inside. Had low oil pressure. Pulled the relief valve, broken spring. Shimmed it running 40wt here in the south now 20# + when hot at cruise. 10-15 at idle. Leaking trans grease out the bell housing pulling the trans Tuesday date tag says 7/15/51 and the Jeep was delivered in 08/51 so probably original to the Jeep.
dpcd67

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a new Melling oil pump in and instantly got 55 pounds; from 30 with the original aluminum pump.
M37B1 1963
Willys MB 1944
Ford GPW 1942
Dodge WC63 1943
Dodge Power Wagon WM300 1967
Plymouth Barracuda, 1973, 340 4 barrel
All ground up restored by me.
Lots of others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    willysmjeeps.com Forum Index -> Technical Knowledge Base All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: